felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

Dorm Sweet Dorm: Decorating Tips and Tricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Ah, the college dormitory! Your home away from home… with simple furniture and bare walls. But don’t despair! There are so many ways to make your room scream you. Luckily, I have some great color schemes and decor to help your room go from glum to glam!

Pink

You can never go wrong with the color pink. It is a sophisticated color that can really make a room pop. You can pair pink with grey, white, black, or gold. In fact, a popular color scheme is pink with white and gold accents. With those three colors, the sky’s the limit! dormify.com has a great selection of bedding sets and they have a variety of pre-styled collections to choose from.

Add some lights to the wall to really make the room glow!

All Neutrals

Even though some like to stick with bright colors, you can never go wrong with neutrals. Colors like white, taupe or gray are great because they make a room look larger than it already is. Add some hints of metallic to make the room look classic. However, be careful! White can stain easily so make sure you keep it neat.

Find some black and white wall art to go with your neutral theme!

Black & Bold

We’ve all heard the saying black goes with everything, so why not use it for your room? Pairing black with a color like hot pink, royal blue, or violet can make the room look edgy and bold. If you want to go even bolder, add some LED lights to the wall that will give your room an intense look. 

Use decorative pillows that are the same color to add more depth! 

Decor

Now that you have a color scheme, here comes the fun part: DECORATING! There is so much you can add to a room to make it your own. The possibilities are endless! My number one go-to is a tapestry. Not only do they cover the doom and gloom of a bare wall, but they come in unlimited designs and colors. Try stringing lights around the tapestry to make it extra special. 

Mandalas are a very popular design choice in tapestries! 

Wall art is a must-have too! They come in all different shapes and designs. I personally like the ones with inspiring or motivational messages. When I walk into the room and see “girl boss”, I automatically feel empowered! 

You can spread your wall art throughout the room or make a collage!

One last thing to add your room is shelves. It may sound boring, but it actually serves two purposes: storage and cuteness! You can get a variety of shelves to put more decor on or put books on. The best part is they don’t even have to be boring square-shaped. You can get them in another shape or color that suits you. My personal favorite is honeycomb hexagon shelves. They are the most unique shelves I’ve ever seen and it really makes a difference in your room.

These shelves are easy to put up with some command hooks!

So there you have it! If you want to see more, check our Pinterest page to get some inspiration. Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to get on the Pirate Shuttle and go to Target for some decor! 

Camille Birdsong is a Her Campus National Writer for the Style section. She writes weekly articles about all things fashion, beauty, lifestyle, and decor. Beyond Her Campus, Camille works as an Associate Producer for CNN Max. She previously worked at NBC News, where she produced heartwarming stories for the TODAY Show audience and viewers nationwide. Camille graduated in 2022 with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Leadership Studies at Hampton University. She was the Director and Line Producer of her university’s newscast and has interned at NBC Nightly News, the TODAY Show and the Weekend TODAY Show. Camille is a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated and is passionate about sharing community-driven stories. In her downtime, she loves creating content, visiting new cafes, and obsessing over reality dating shows.
Her Campus Contributor Account