This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Wow is time flying we’re already approaching midterms and it is intimidating. Even though it is not finals, midterms still leave quite a lot of pressure on us, students, because it is an accumulation of everything learned within this halfway mark of the semester. Having multiple classes and midterms to take in the span of one week is stressful, and on top of that, for exams to overlap with homecoming week makes things chaotic as well. Being stressed out during times like these are normal, but be mindful that too much stress or unreasonable energy is not healthy for the body and mind.

A small amount of stress is normal, but too much affects how you feel and your physical appearance. According to an article published by the staff of Mayo Clinic, too much stress can cause muscle tension, fatigue, headaches, anxiety, depression, the constant feeling of being overwhelmed, forehead acne, etcetera. These are just a few of the many stated in the article. Yes, midterms and homework are important but they are not more important than being conscious of how your body and mind feel. Remind yourself of all the positives that remain in a stressful situation, like yes you might have midterms during homecoming week but after you handle all you have to do you can hang out and enjoy all the culture and activities around you and relax.

The best thing to do during a time like this is to be mindful of the things you can control and what you cannot. Being stressed can make people hyper-focused on all the things that are not working out in their favor or all the aspects of life going wrong. What we have to remember is to stay organized and prioritize. Take time to make lists, organizing your tasks from most important to least important. Make sure to decompress and let go. For example, you study for your midterms to succeed but once it is done it is done, it’s done. You tried your best, do not continue to dwell and stress about the grade because that is out of your control and what it will be, It will be.

Worrying about things out of your control exerts unreasonable energy and dims the shine you have, although life can throw so much at you at once you will make through and reach your goals.

Believe in yourself and your abilities. Trust your instincts. Keep the glow and, remember to smile.

XOXO

Haila Reed

Hampton U '24

hello, my name is Haila Renae Reed, and Communicative Sciences and Disorders major from Phoenix, Arizona, I attend Hampton University. I am an athlete, but my all-time favorite hobby is fashion styling and shopping and brain dumping