freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Doing Just Enough for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s almost Valentine’s Day and if you’re anything like me you’re wondering what to get that special someone. As girls, we know exactly what we want for Valentine’s Day (usually super romantic gifts or dates that we can brag about to our single friends and post all over our social media). But buying for your significant other can be a daunting task (especially when you’re on a college budget). You might find yourself wondering, ‘Will he actually like this?’ or ‘How much is too much?’ There’s no need to freak out. Whether you’re head over heels in love, or just in serious like, here are some simple, inexpensive, and romantic gifts you can give to your sweetheart without overdoing it.

Homemade Cards

Making homemade cards is the perfect way to show off your creativity. You can tell your boyfriend that he’s sensational in a cute way that will make him smile instead of gag. Make sure your card is personal and not a generic Hallmark-esque card. (Guys don’t usually go for glittery cards with generic messages, even if they tell you they love it.) Write a cute message or an inside joke: something pertaining to your relationship. Otherwise there’s a chance he might not keep it around for long.

Compliment Jar

Compliment jars are simple, creative and inexpensive projects that work for all stages of relationships. If you’re in a long-term relationship you can write 365 things you like about your boyfriend and have him open one every day for one year. Cheesy? Maybe; Effective? Definitely.  If you want to take a simpler route you can write 50-100 things you like about your guy. Even writing 10 things will work. Just show that you put some serious thought into it.

Handwritten Love Letter

If you want to appeal to the sentimental side of your significant other, try writing a handwritten love letter. Sure, writing love letters might be a dated concept but that’s what makes it so special. Take the time to write in detail why you adore him. Make it special; make it romantic. Write a letter that would make your heart flutter if you received it. (For an extra touch, you can spray the letter with your favorite perfume.)

Homemade Treats

You can never go wrong with baking for your man. Bake him a treat that he absolutely loves. If he loves everything, make him an assortment of things. Since its Valentine’s Day you might even get away with making heart-shaped treats with pink frosting. He’ll still love it and love you for making it.

Spend Time with Him

Remember: Valentine’s Day isn’t just about you. One of the sweetest things that you can do for your Valentine is to unplug and actually spend time with them. Play videogames with him, watch some of his favorite movies with him, sit down and watch sports with him. Engage in conversation and actually listen to what he has to say without any distractions. He’ll definitely appreciate it. (The best thing about it: it’s free!)

Finé Thompson is a junior at Hampton University majoring in Journalism. She is passionate about writing and loves expressing herself through crafts and art. After college, Finé plans on pursuing different positions in broadcast journalism.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.