Diversity Now Founder: Deja Stewart

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Deja Stewart is one student who is a great representative of Hampton University. She is a sophomore strategic communication major, political science minor on the pre-law track from Brooklyn, New York. Deja is a part of a new show called Diversity Now. The show originally started as an assignment for a class project. After sharing the idea of the show with her professor, Deja and her classmates felt it was a great idea and that the students should execute the project to the best of their abilities. If anyone knows Stewart, they know that everything she does, she puts her all into.  So it was no shock when the show became a success.

Diversity Now is a political panel created to inform college students about political issues and bring a millennial perspective to the political word. Deja didn’t want to do the show originally because being on air made her feel uncomfortable. She also says she thinks the show makes Hampton a better School overall “because it shows that black people are more than a stereotype, and more than the ‘turn up’.” Deja and her team feel that changing this stereotype is helping Hampton students to take a stand on everyday issues.  

WHOV TV recently picked up the show to air on Hampton University’s Channel. The show will air on channel 9 and 11, but the first airdate is undetermined. Deja was extremely shocked when her show got picked up by WHOV, and she didn’t expect it be successful this fast. She thought it was just another class assignment and simply hoped for an “A”. To get more updates on the show and all things about Deja Stewart you can follow her on Twitter and Instagam @KarmalsDejaVu.

Taylor White, a Public Relations major, Matketing minor from Aurora, Il.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.