Dear Congress, Sincerely Democrats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

One man. One gun. 58 killed. 500 injured. No action.

You might ask the question, “How does someone have the mental capacity to open fire on hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians?” Well, this question continues to be a trend more often than not when it comes to the numerous amounts of mass shootings within the United States, and Democrats are infuriated.

One of them being Democrat, Senator Joe Manchin III, of West Virginia. Back in 2012, Sen. Manchin vindicated the pro-gun aim of his state and co-wrote legislation to expand background checks on gun-holders. This came about after the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary shooting that left 26 people dead, 20 of them being children. According to the Washington Post, for years, amid a string of mass shootings in places whose names are by now seared into the national psyche — Columbine, Aurora, Virginia Tech, Newtown, San Bernardino, Orlando and now Las Vegas — Democrats have tried to enact what they call “common-sense” gun restrictions. Time and time again, they have failed.

The debate over gun control laws has not been smooth sailing. Democratic leaders have asked their Republican counterparts to be open to the discussion, but it seems as though they cannot come to a consensus.

Although it may seem like nothing is being done, several Democratic leaders have made suggestions to combat America’s gun control issue. One in particular, Senator Dianne Feinstein of California, proposed that looking at kits that legally transform semiautomatic weapons into automatic weapons. According to news reports, the Las Vegas shooter was said to have used a kit similar to this described to help the gun-fire more like an automatic weapon. If taken seriously by Congress, this could be a step in the right direction. However, there are several more issues to be discussed.  

Of course, the other recurring suggestion is to is tighter background checks, which many Democratic leaders have agreed should be the next priority for gun control. Both parties agree with the issue of public safety, however, the disagreement is when it comes to the suspect in any scenario, as there are often grey areas in the government’s response. Regardless, the issue is a long way from being resolved, but it’s resurfacing could be just what it needs to open legislation’s eyes.

Concerned about our country’s gun control? Here’s what you can do to raise awareness:

• Contact local government officials

• VOTE for your state legislators

• Before voting, research who is on the ballot

Jasmine Kromah is a second year, strategic communications student from Charlotte, NC. She currently attends Hampton University.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.