Culture > News

Dear Black Men: Here’s How You Can Help Combat the Crisis of Missing Black Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Almost 65,000 black women have gone missing in 2019 alone. Yes, you read that right. 65,000 mothers, aunties, sisters, cousins, friends, and wives have vanished as if out of thin air due to the alarming increase in sex trafficking in the United States. Women are being taken from their families and sold into modern-day slavery in broad daylight leaving many family members, friends, and civilians on edge. 

You may be asking what can I do? Here are some simple precautions you can take as a male to help protect the Black women in your life.   

1. Personal ride over Rideshares. 

According to 11 Alive, in Coweta County, Ga more than a dozen people were arrested during a human trafficking sting at the metro Atlanta hotel. Out of the 15 arrested, eight of them were women said to be posing as uber drivers. No life is worth and Uber or Lyft. Offering a personal ride home could save someone’s life. When dropping someone off make sure they are all the way inside their home before pulling off.  

2. Share your locations.

This goes without saying. Whether it’s in a group chat or one on one. If she needs to reach you or you need to reach her quickly knowing each other’s location will save time. 

3. Support Anti-trafficking Organizations

The Global Modern Slavery directory has a list of anti-human trafficking organizations from all over the world. Here you can find out what services they offer and how to get in contact with them. Other organizations include The U.S Institute Against Human Trafficking and The Polaris Project. 

4. Call and Write Your Local, State, and Federal Government Officials

​Voice your concern and the severity of human trafficking. Ask them what they plan to do to address this issue. Continue to do this consistently and keep applying pressure. Black stories are not being told!

5. Be Aware of Your Surroundings

Whether you’re out with a group or just one on one, be sure to pay close attention to your surroundings. Always stay together. If one person stops to use the bathroom, wait on them. If one person wanders off, contact them immediately. Never assume. 

6. Educate Yourself and others on the indicators of human trafficking. This may help to identify a victim. Some indicators may include:

• Living with employer

• Poor living conditions

• Multiple people in cramped space

• Inability to speak to individual alone

• Answers appear to be rehearsed and scripted

• An employer is holding identity documents

• Signs of physical abuse

• Submissive or fearful

• Unpaid or paid little

For more information on indicators and assisting trafficking victims click here.

Jasmine Kromah is a second year, strategic communications student from Charlotte, NC. She currently attends Hampton University.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!