This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Hitting the US Billboard Hot 100, and Hot R&B/ Hip Hop Singles & Tracks charts, Ashanti released her biggest solo on January 29, 2002. As an early 2000s baby, “Foolish” had always been a song that I have grown up with.

Danielle Cohn is a 15 year old girl who has built a platform on Tik Tok and Youtube. On September 4, 2020, she released Ashanti’s “Foolish” as her own on Tik Tok, Youtube, Apple Music, and Spotify. So far, her music video has been taken down from Youtube. However, this cover is still available on Youtube Music, Apple Music, Spotify, and Tik Tok. 

Her Tik Tok that was posted as promotion for her “cover” said to “Make a Tik Tok to my new song”. Cohn should be getting sued for releasing copyrighted music as her own. Ashanti’s “Foolish”  replicated Danielle Cohn’s version of “Foolish” word for word. Ashanti released her song first eighteen years ago, therefore, Danielle Cohn plagiarized Ashanti’s “Foolish”. 

On her Instagram live, Cohn said it was a cover when people asked her about why she stole the song. This is wrong because it was only referred to as “a cover” once she received backlash for it. Ashanti deserves credit for a song that is hers. It is not ok for Danielle to get away with this without any consequences. 

Her Campus Contributor Account 
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!