Curbing the Bitter Betty Blues this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Valentine’s day is slowly approaching and whether you have a Valentine or not, everyone wants to enjoy that day.  However, every year there are “bitter Betties” online complaining about how Valentine’s day sucks, making it a lot less enjoyable for everyone else. What’s a bitter Betty you ask? She is a girl who displays extreme bitterness and or envy towards another. One can be a bitter Betty and not even know it. If you find yourself posting envious tweets or statuses on Twitter and Facebook, then you just may be a bitter Betty. Stop! It’s not too late to cut it out!

Maybe you’ve got a Valentine’s date this year, and if you do, go girl! However if you haven’t, it’s not a big deal! Going online to bash others for celebrating their love is not cool and makes you look jealous and spiteful. Society has commercialized Valentine’s day to be solely about love between two romantic lovers while the day is really about expressing affection to those you love, like your  friends, family, and any other appropriate relationship you may have. And you never know, you could be potentially pushing future bae away for being spiteful and UOENO. Let those couples have their time and you spend your day doing something more positive:

1. Stay off social media for the day

You know that the picture, statuses declaring love, and videos are coming. If seeing those pictures are going to make you feel jealous or some type of way, don’t look at them. Log out! And sign back on the tomorrow when the hype has settled down.

2. Do something that you love 

Like I said before, Valentine’s day is about spreading love so why not do something that you find amazing. Self love and appreciation is the best love.

3Go make that coin

Now if you work at a restaurant or movie theatre, I don’t think this may be a tip for you but what a great way to take your mind of your feelings than making money? Your paycheck will thank you later.

4. Have a Galentine’s Party

Yes, Gal-entine’s party. This includes inviting your best gals over, hanging with them, and having a great time. Spend the night doing creative and fun bonding activities to show your besties how much you love them. Don’t forget the wine.

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.