This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It is the first week of October which means that the leaves are changing and it’s getting steadily colder. Fall is upon us and all we can think about is who we are going to be warming up to for the holidays. Yes, it has begun, the start of “cuffing season”. A period of time recognized during the overlapping seasons of autumn and winter where you can enjoy having that special person to lie with while watching scary movies on Halloween and exchanging gifts with for Christmas. This is a time I hold a love/hate relationship with every year. Although I love the traditions with family and drinking all the hot cocoa I want, it always feels like something is missing. Especially when you see all the people who are boo’d up on Instagram and Snapchat. Yet at the end of the day, it’s all the same whether you’re in a relationship or not, there is more to the incoming fall season than who you’re talking to. 

The idea of “cuffing season” seems like a slightly toxic, overrated idea. Stating that you can’t be happy in the fall or winter season without that special someone. When really, I have found people who are only interested in a relationship that lasts between October through the end of January. In doing this you’re ensuring to have someone to cuddle and occupy the company of, but end it when things may get a little more complicated when Valentine’s day rolls around. It’s almost like a time chart of getting exactly what you want without the commitment of being in an actual relationship. In September, you start your scouting for the best options, start making your move by October and keep that small flame going through the holidays. Especially on New Year’s so you have a designated kiss at midnight. Once January rolls around it may be the beginning of the end, things may be cut short before February comes and Valentine’s Day plans are discussed. I don’t mean to sound bitter or disgusted by the fact that some people are in relationships. I just hate the fact that there are some people out in the dating scene that get into a relationship for the wrong reasons and plan out their escape. Making their partner feel like the stupid one for wasting their time.

Take the time to find out more about your personal interests, it might be better to date yourself for a while. By taking yourself out, you’re taking the first step towards self love, flaws, and all. Being inside all day can have some serious negative effects on a person mentally. Feeling boxed in and with no one to talk to, yet there are ways to combat these issues. Go outside, get some fresh air, and clear your mind of all that bad energy. Tell yourself small affirmations to make the day a little more special, doing hobbies that you love or discovering new ones, and maybe even doing a face mask or two while watching your favorite movies. All of these tips I have personally done myself on my journey of self-love and they have honestly helped me alot. Not everything has to be done on your own, consider reconnecting with friends. The same kickbacks and bars are free for you to still have fun with your closest friends. Although you might not have a partner enjoying the night alongside you, the world is your oyster. You can’t spread love unless you have it for yourself. 

Nia Tate

Hampton U '23

Hi, girlies! My name is Nia Tate and I am a Graduating Senior Health Sciences Major and Sociology from Seattle, Washington. I aspire to work at a non-profit organization that works towards equity in the health care system. A lot of my hobbies include yoga/meditation, kickboxing, trips to the lake, and upcycling old clothes into creating something new. I also aspire to travel the world and experience all different types of cultures and fashion. Some of my dream destinations I hope to visit include Japan, Brazil, and Greece!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!