Life > Experiences

Cuffing Season from a Professional Benchwarmer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We are well into the 2021 Cuffing Season, and once again I am on the bench. I would be lying if I said I was surprised; but this has been a vicious cycle since the beginning of high school. This year has been proven to be no different, once again I am a benchwarmer but who said the bench was no fun.

The beginning of cuffing season begins with everyone compiling a roster of future potential significant others. I did not begin this process very well; I had no roster. No one seemed to like me, but the thing is I do not think I like anyone either. As a benchwarmer, I have fell in love with my independence, therefore I will NOT be taken off the bench for just anyone.

This confidence does not last long because I have to constantly watch my friends gets approached, as I pretend to be background noise. It is especially gruesome when I have to act as the middleman between my friend and the potential significant other. Even at my lowest times, I have to remember one question, “Do I even like them?” …9 times out of 10, I do not. As a bench warmer, I have had an exceptional amount of time to determine if I actually like someone or do I just want attention?

Personally, I have never been through the cuffing season, better yet I have never had a successful outcome from cuffing season. So, I am not too pressed about ever participating in the season. If something is meant to be, it will be…right? In my eyes, cuffing season is just a long process, to ultimately have a significant other by Valentine’s Day. People spend the entire summer testing waters with different people aka Hot Girl Summer. Then, Cuffing Season begins in September, hopefully by December you have narrowed down the roster, just in time for the holidays. So, conveniently around February everyone seems to be in a loving relationships and are expected to buy presents for their loves.

My no-nonsense attitude has come in handy, except when the cold whether reminds me that I have no one to keep me warm. This cold weather reminds me that a big sweater is not enough to get me through the cold weather. The most detrimental part of Cuffing Season is the holiday season. I have to watch couples in their matching Christmas pajamas as they watch all of the Christmas movie classics. My only thought to fight this thought is I do not have to buy a Christmas gift for anyone else except friends and family. 

“Coaches don’t play”. Since I have been on the bench for a long period of time, I know perfect strategies to navigate cuffing season to make sure I have a successful season aka a significant other by Valentine’s Day, if the opportunity ever presents itself. I know how crucial it is to not put all your eggs in one basket.  Additionally, I highly recommend establishing what you both want out of the “relationship”, it would be awful if you just wanted a relationship and your potential just wanted a “sneaky link”

I may still be a benchwarmer for Cuffing Season, but I have learned perfect strategies to navigate the stressful time. I also know that whoever gets the opportunity to take me off the bench is a pretty lucky person. I recommend that you never lower your standards just because everyone else seems to be linked up, you are the only perfect person that you are looking for ,

Sydney Broadnax

Hampton U '23

Sydney Broadnax is currently a senior journalism major with an area of concentration in english from Detroit, Michigan. She has been in Hercampus since freshman year of college and is excited to serve as 2022-2023 Editor-In-Chief. She cannot wait to share her love for writing with her Hercampus chapter