This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Tis’ the season to be spooky! Halloween is right around the corner already; the nights are getting longer, sweater weather is in full swing, and, of course, that signifies the onset of costumes, candy, and Halloween parties. For many, deciding what to dress up as, whether you’re going trick-or-treating or going to a raging party can be difficult.

Do you dress up as a bunny, a risque nurse, or an angel? Halloween costumes also tend to go in phases each year based on major events or what was trending in pop culture throughout the year. Here’s a couple of costume ideas inspired by what was trending in 2021:

1. Squid Game Costume

If you’re struggling to find a Halloween costume this year, look no further. Since the Netflix debut of “Squid Game” on September 17th, the media has gone into a frenzy over the high-action thriller series. Chances are if you are on literally any social media platform, you’ve seen at least one meme or mention based on the series. This year, Amazon and Walmart are chock full of costumes, ranging from the iconic red jumpsuit to the infamous red light green light doll. 

1. Cruella Costume

“Cruella,” is one of the biggest films to have come out in 2021. Inspired by the 1956 novel “One Hundred And One Dalmatians,” its debut on May 28th revolved around Estella Miller, an aspiring fashion designer who would ultimately become Cruella de Vil later in the film. Due to its popularity, it is no surprise that a Cruella costume would garner a lot of attention this Halloween. You can find this costume at Party City or Amazon; but as this costume can be pricey, DIY costume designs are just as fabulous. 

1. Olivia Rodrigo from the “good 4 u,” Music Video

Olivia Rodrigo’s debut album, “Sour,” topped the charts this year, spending a total of five weeks at No. 1 on Billboard Top 200 since its release in May. Given its popularity, especially with Gen Z, we are expecting to see at least a few costumes based on one of the most prominent songs on the album, “good 4 u.” In the video, Rodrigo sports a blue cheerleader uniform with black latex gloves. This costume set isn’t available in stores, so you’ll have to get creative with this one.

1.  Playboy Bunny

It’s classy, bougie, and simple: a Playboy Bunny costume is a timeless choice that always gets the job done. Whether you’re dressing up alone or with a friend, this elegant and simple costume is a surefire way to stand out at a Halloween party. Not to mention, this costume is easy to make! Pop on a pair of bunny ears and a black bodysuit and you’re set to go!

Have a happy, safe Halloween!

Zoë Westlund

Hampton U '25

Zoë Westlund (she/her) is a third-year education major at Hampton U from Manhattan, New York. When she's not writing or studying, she enjoys traveling, hiking, and going to the beach.