This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Upon the mention of coronavirus, many people instantly think of Corona — beer. However, this mention of “corona” is not nearly as trivial. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), common human coronaviruses are viruses that cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, such as the common cold. These viruses can also cause lower-respiratory tract illnesses like pneumonia or bronchitis. The virus in question as of 2019 and going into 2020 is called the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV).

This serious case of Coronavirus, along with the other equally dangerous types like Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV), is a disease that stems from animal exposure. All three viruses share mild to severe respiratory illness along with symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath. According to livescience.com, this outbreak that was first detected in Wuhan City, China has a death toll of 41 and approximately 1,300 confirmed cases as of January 25. The virus is continuously spreading internationally with two cases recently reported in the United states. However, both cases reported came from travelers coming from Wuhan.

There is no vaccine for this new coronavirus and there are no specific treatments either. Because there is no vaccine, the best way to prevent contracting the disease is to avoid being exposed to the virus. Other precautionary measures include:

• Washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds

• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands

• Avoid close contact with people who are sick

• Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash

• Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects 

In an effort to prevent the disease from spreading further, the Chinese government has stopped most travel to and from Wuhan as The New York Times has reported. Major airports in the U.S. are conducting screenings to ensure incoming passengers are not infected.

It is important to be aware of serious outbreaks like coronavirus or ebola. Staying informed is the first step to prevention! Updates about the outbreak are constantly being released. To be well informed, keep an eye out for updates from the CDC, the World Health Organization (WHO), and major news outlets such as The New York Times and CNN.

Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!