This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s the holiday season, which means it’s time to drink eggnog, put up Christmas decorations, and get into that holiday spirit! The holiday season is all about making memories with the people you care for most. I grew up in New York, so I was able to go to Manhattan and see at the beautiful, festive Christmas decorations. Since I was a child, I have been creating the best holiday memories that I know I will never forget. I’m going to share some of my favorite childhood Christmas memories!

Going to see the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree:

Located at Rockefeller Plaza, between West 48th and West 51 St. in New York City, this tree is one of the most iconic symbols of Christmas season. This was one of my favorite things to do as a kid during Christmas time! I loved going to Rockefeller Center to marvel at the luminous Christmas tree that stood over 70 ft., even though it was always crowded with people. Once I walked up to the tree and took one look I was in awe! It was also my mom’s favorite place for the perfect photo op.

Saks 5th Avenue & Bloomingdales Christmas Decorations:

The Christmas window displays at the Saks 5th Avenue and the Bloomingdale’s Department Stores aren’t just some plain lights and a mannequin Santa Claus with reindeer. NOPE! Both department stores have a different theme for their holiday window displays. Each year the stores transform their windows to fit whatever theme they have chosen. The mannequins in the windows are modeling the most elaborate winter themed clothing made by high end designers. Each window tells a story that fit corresponds with the year’s theme. Going past each window is almost like flipping a page in a book and seeing it come to life. Each window display is beautifully thought out, unique and creative. Children and adults alike who visit these stores are so amazed at how realistic and detailed the displays are.

Angela Pham/BFA.com

Ice Skating:

Even though I was never (and to this day, probably never will be) the best ice skater, I always enjoyed going during Christmas time for the experience. I always remember how much fun it was to see my family members skate just because it was something we all could do. I also thought it was pretty fun because we would never take ourselves super seriously and if we fell, we just laughed it off.

Remember: Christmas is not just about running around trying to buy the most expensive gifts for your loved ones. It is about spending time with family and making memories. This holiday season I hope you can create lasting holiday memories with your loved ones that you will cherish for a lifetime. Go see Christmas lights, decorate Christmas cookies, or even snuggle up and watch your favorite holiday movies. Happy Holidays Everyone!

Avari Fauconier a graduating senior, criminal justice major from Staten Island, New York. She enjoys drawing and writing in her spare time. Avari is also hoping to have a career as an FBI agent. She is a strong believer in self love and not letting fear or insecurities keeping you from trying new things.