Campus Cutie: Whitney Samuel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week’s Campus Cutie is Whitney Samuel is a second-year, elementary education major from the home of Disneyland, Anaheim, California. You’ve seen her. Five foot ten, beautiful, curly hair, pretty smile and always bubbly? Yep, that’s Whitney.

Whitney, known as Whit only to close family and friends, can’t stay still for long, as she’s very active on our campus. She is a recent inductee into the Greer Dawson Wilson Student Leadership Training Program, a member of West Coast PAC, Queens in You, Pretty Girls Sweat, and you can catch her modeling in this year’s Homecoming Fashion show.

HerCampus sat down with this cutie to get further insight on who she really is.

HC: What’s your favorite thing about Hampton?

CC: I love the beautiful campus and the history it has. Also, I like how most of the staff here are really interactive and don’t just treat you like a number, it’s intimate.

HC: What’s one piece of advice you’d give to a freshman at HU?

CC: College is what you make it and it’s really important to keep that balance with work and your social life. Do that, and you’ll be good!

HC: Would you rather text, call, or FaceTime?

CC: I’d rather FaceTime or call because I’d rather just talk on the phone because texting can be a little confusing and it’s just better overall. *Smiles*

HC: What’s your favorite emoji to use?

CC: The laughing emoji, because I can get silly and am always laughing. I really overuse the rock star hands emoji, too.

HC: What’s your perfect date?

CC: I love going to the beach or an amusement park all day, just enjoying each other’s company and having a good time. The best date, though, is when I don’t have to plan anything and the guy does it!

HC: Describe your ideal guy.

CC: He has to be over 6 feet tall, mature, intelligent, outgoing, funny, a man of God, respectful, adventurous… I’ll just stop there.  *laughs*

HC: What’s your biggest turn off?

CC: Immaturity and an ignorant mindset, ugh. I mean it’s a time and place for everything, you know like to be silly, but if you’re simply immature that’s a big no. Also you can’t have an ignorant way of thinking about everything or view of life.

HC: What’s the weirdest thing that’s ever happened between you and a guy? How did you

handle it?

CC: After my ex and I broke up, his parents still contacted me on the regular. I would be respectful and address them, don’t get me wrong, but it was weird because I didn’t talk to him anymore but I was kind of cool with his parents, ha.

HC: Would you ever date a guy who’s…facially challenged?

CC: I mean, if he has a good personality, maybe. However, he can’t be that challenged now!

HC: Dating Hampton guys: yay or nay?

CC: Nay, for now, I’m just trying to focus on school and my priorities. But, if it is meant to be, then we will see…

HC: What are your plans upon graduating from Hampton?

CC: I want to teach special needs children for 2 years in Virginia or in Washington, D.C. Then I’ll be going back home to California for grad school.

Kyla L. Wright is a sophomore journalism major, marketing minor at Hampton University. Born and raised in the city of Detroit, Kyla was fortunate to receive many opportunities to be a spokesperson for the many organizations that she was apart of -- which is how she discovered her passion for writing and public speaking. In high school, Kyla took many journalism classes, attended journalism-based camps, and even won journalistic awards. Upon entering college, Kyla jumped into her field rather quickly. She thrived in her journalism classes at Hampton, began writing for her university newspaper, the Hampton Script, and even started her own blog, which could be found at thedreamdiaries.wordpress.com . Recently, Kyla was honored to find out she had made the list of "Hampton U Brands" for being a blogger on campus. Kyla is very active on her campus, as she's a member of the SGA's Women's Caucus, a Resident Assistant (RA), and of course is a YouTuber and writer for HerCampus. Upon graduation from Hampton, Kyla would like to attend The University of Georgia or The University of Oxford. Ultimately, Kyla wants to use her voice as a journalist to give back to her community and bring others up with her. She loves seeing others succeed, especially young women who are told that they cannot.