Campus Cutie: Tyra Woods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Meet Tyra Woods! She is a Sophomore Kinesiology major from the city of brotherly love, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She has a love for dance, hence her being a Terp on the Terpsichorean Dance Company. Tyra also has a strong passion for all things that relate to health, nutrition, fitness, and wellness of body and mind. She loves animals, but not just the typical cat or dog, Tyra loves worms and goats! In addition, she has a love for traveling and listening to her favorite neo- soul artist, Jill Scott. Below are questions that I picked her brain with and her intriguing answers.

HC: First things first, Why did you choose to attend our illustrious home by the sea?

TW: “Originally, I did not like the Hampton, due to the surroundings. I am from Philly, so I am the typical city girl. I love the hustle and bustle of the city and the fast moving pace. Of course, Hampton’s surroundings did not fit that mold. However, I ended up choosing Hampton because of the on-campus atmosphere. There is such a sense of school spirit, family, and connectivity on campus and I love that! I realized one of the reasons I disliked high school so much was because those elements were missing. I just wanted to feel the love, so Hampton was my choice.”

HC: What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you this week?

TW: “As a Kinesiology major, we are required to take a swim class. I forgot to bring flip flops and a towel to dry off, so I was forced to walk from Holland to McGrew in a swimsuit and wet jeans. Definitely going to remember to bring that towel next time!”

HC: What is your point of view on this upcoming Presidential election?

TW: “As a first time voter, I must say that these options are slightly disappointing. I know I have no choice but to vote, so I must make the smartest decision for myself and my generation. It is like picking up two rocks and deciding which one is better, however we have to deal with the cards dealt to us.”

HC: What is a beauty ritual that you swear by?

TW: “I am really into facial cleansing and masking. My favorite face mask is oatmeal and honey. Detox water is another big part of keeping your skin clear, so I like to add lemon and cucumber to my water. Sometimes I add strawberries and peaches when I’m feeling extra.”

HC: What is your favorite quote/scripture and how do you apply it to your everyday life?

TW: “Nobody is gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain’t how hard you can hit. It’s how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. It’s how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done” – Sylvester Stallone (Rocky). “I am a fighter. Whenever something happens and I feel like it is the end, I think back to the quote and remember it is all about getting back up. That is how winners are made. Losers are made when you do not bounce back and get back up. You cannot just get hit and be content with that and let it rock, you have to get back up. That is how I live my life.”

HC:  How do you feel about the “bond without a title” stuff that people are really into nowadays?

TW: “I think it is complete BS. It sets people up to not be taken seriously and for their worth to diminish. There are guys out here that don’t want a title but want the sex and other benefits of a relationship. That isn’t fair for you to receive all the relationship benefits without making the commitment. It’s basically like someone saying that you aren’t good enough for the title but good enough for the benefits.”

HC: What is your biggest pet peeve?

TW: “When people ask for advice, you give it to them, and they just don’t listen to you. I understand it is your decision to take it or not, but it is irritating when that person totally disregards every piece of the advice and continues the same stuff.”

HC: What is the most daring thing that you have done outside of your comfort zone?

TW: “In high school, I wasn’t very outgoing or popular. I stayed in the cut. Senior year, I decided to try out for the cheerleading team. I ended up making it and becoming a star player. I had never cheered before so it was something new to get me out of my comfort zone.”

HC: What is your favorite thing about being a black woman?

TW: “My favorite thing about being a black woman is how versatile we are, physically and mentally. We also have such an array of inspirations to look up to and so many positive platforms to stand on. We are also very resilient. We take a lot of heat but we are also able to bounce back ten times stronger. For example, the job force. It is hard enough being a woman in corporate America, but with being a black woman we must be twice as good. Hampton women are a great example of being headstrong, being that we basically dominate campus and do it so well. #BlackGirlMagic”

HC: Where should we expect to see you in 10 years?

TW: “In the next 10 years, I will be a certified personal trainer, a physical therapist, and own a gym. I plan to be financially independent and sound. I also would like to have a mentoring program for girls in middle school and high school to give them guidance on school, boys, and anything that teenage girls deal with nowadays. This is random, but I would also love to have my own pet goat!” So there you have it! There was your sneak peek into the life of Tyra Woods. Next time you see this cutie around campus, be sure to speak and catch some of that black girl magic she has!

creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.