Campus Cutie: Genesis Payne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Yeah, She’s a SUPERMOM! Genesis Payne is a 2nd year Pre-Nursing Major, Leadership Studies Minor, from Hampton, VA. On her free time she enjoys spending quality time with family, reading, and meeting new people. Genesis is a new inductee to the Greer Dawson Wilson Student Leadership Training Program, and she can do all things through Christ who strengthens her.  

HC: You are living proof that you can go to school, be involved, and still accomplish your dreams while having a child at a very young age! So what was the hardest part about it? How do you balance it all?

GP: My mom is very supportive of me going to school and doing everything I want to do because I’m only really going to college once and if I’m going to do what I want the time is now while I have help. I definitely have to shout out my SLP family because they just brought me in with open arms. It’s actually overwhelming sometimes because I’m like, “Y’all we don’t really know each other, but we know each other.” I felt like I’ve known them forever. We’re just like a big family. I love it!

HC: On your Instagram your bio says that you’re a licensed cosmetologist. What drove you to your passion to do hair? What are your specialties?

GP: My mom has been doing hair for over 30 years, so I was kind of born into it. I grew up learning to love it. I got licensed in high school and my specialties are doing box braids.

HC: How would you describe your style?

GP: I actually was just talking to one of my friends about it and I’m working on it. I don’t think I dress girly enough, but I guess it would have to be the ultimate mom jeans, regular t-shirt. I don’t know, then I might throw on heels with some jeans sometimes.

HC: What are your aspirations in life?

GP: I aspire to be a pediatric nurse practitioner. I want to just be a leader of my community overall.

HC: If there was one thing you could say to a young mother who wants to finish or further their education, what would it be?

A: Definitely keep going! I definitely have moments where I’m just talking to my mom like, “Mom, this is too much! I could just go to a community college for a little bit. I don’t have to keep going.” My mom definitely pushed me to go to a 4-year college right after high school because a lot of people don’t get that opportunity so I’m definitely glad that I had that support. I would really just say to keep going, pray… definitely a lot of prayers!

HC: What’s your favorite quote & why?

GP: I don’t know exactly but it goes something like, “God is within her, she will not fail,” it’s in the Bible, it’s something within that nature *laughs*. It’s my favorite because it’s been very influential in my life and a perfect example to represent everything I’ve already overcome.

HC: If you find yourself down, or discouraged, what motivates you to keep going?

GP: It would definitely have to be my son!

HC: We know you adore your little guy. Can you tell us a little about him?

GP: He just had a birthday, September 13th, he’s two and in school now. He knows his ABC’s, and how to count to 100. I’ve been working with him since he was around 6 months on his phonics, and he’s learning how to read words and sound out words. I’m like How do you even know this?!” but I’ve been working with him for so long and he just amazes me every day. We actually found out the other day he needed glasses so we went to go look for some and he just goofed out like, “I’m about to have glasses, I’m going to be able to see.” He’s very outgoing, a people’s person, always singing songs in the back seat I’m like, “Given how do you know this?”

HC: If you could start any organization/program on campus what would it be & what would you name it?

A: I feel like there are so many women empowering organizations. It’ll probably be something where I could help people benefit off of. Not many people know how to do hair on campus, so I’ll probably do workshops or have something like that. I’m not really sure what I’d name it yet though.

Be sure to follow Genesis on Instagram & Twitter: @genesisleora_

Shiyanna currently attends Hampton University as a sophomore Strategic Communications major with a Marketing minor. She is a very outgoing, energetic, caring individual who aspires to be a Public Relations Specialist, hoping to one day own her own public relations firm. On her free time, she enjoys spending quality time with friends and family, and shopping. Her favorite quote is “No weapon formed against me, shall prosper.” -Isaiah 54:17. For more information contact her at: shiyannar@gmail.com.