Campus Cutie: Camarie Clark

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week, Her Campus Hampton U had the pleasure of getting to know Camarie Clark! Camarie is a Junior, Psychology major with a Special Education concentration from Virginia Beach, Virginia. On campus, Camarie is a Presidential Fellow as well as a member of the Queen Mentoring Program and Trio Mentor Program. She serves as chaplain for the National Council of Negro Women, is the founder of Women’s Prayer Circle and is a member of the United States Coast Guard.

HC: What motivated you to become a member of the United States Coast Guard?

CC: I had to find a way to get schooling paid for because I am the first person in my family to go to college. It released the financial burden that came along with attending Hampton.

HC: What is the biggest change you have experienced since the start of this whole process?

CC: I gained a lot more confidence and realized how far I was able to push myself. A lot of my experiences come from boot camp which was really hard. I learned that despite whatever is going on I can always lean on the Lord. I know now that I can push myself further than I thought I could.

HC: What keeps you grounded?

CC: Definitely my relationship with the Lord, He grants me peace despite what’s going on. He reminds me that my peace is found in Him and He will never put something upon me that I can’t handle.

HC: What advice would you have for college students struggling with their faith?

CC: For college students struggling with their faith, I would say to try God and allow God to let you experience Him. Nothing can separate us from the love of God no matter what we do. Fellowship with others around you so that no one can tell you about your God.

HC: What are some small things that always make your day better?

CC: Small compliments from people always make my day better because I have not always had a lot of confidence. I had jaw surgery about 3 years ago which really affected my confidence and I was not satisfied. Seeing God do small things in my life always makes my day better.

HC: Who is your go-to artist?

CC: My go-to artist would be Mali Music. He’s my go-to because he’s young and the things he talks about are relatable. It’s more modern and is not the traditional gospel song.

HC: How do you relax after a stressful week?

CC: I relax by watching videos about autism, my favorite show right now is Atypical. My younger cousin has autism so I’m very passionate about it and I love seeing how people from all ages deal with autism in their own ways. That’s my ideal relaxation time.

HC: If you could change one thing in the world what would it be and why?

CC: If I could change one thing in the world, it would be the special education system and implementing learning styles for those with autism because it is not being implemented. There needs to be more advancements, initiatives, and curriculums to accommodate all special education children.​

HC: What are you looking forward to in the near future?

CC: In the near future, I’m looking forward to getting more involved in things that I am passionate about. I am looking forward to being completely liberated and finding a way I can make an impact on children with autism. I want to serve, volunteer and create an awareness for autism.

Be sure to stay updated with Camarie as she has big things in store! You can follow her on Instagram @camarie_nicole!

Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.