Campus Cutie: Arianna Herriott

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week’s campus Campus Cutie is Arianna Herriott, a Junior Journalism major from Newport News, Virginia. She is a member of the Greer Dawson Wilson Student Leadership Training program and the Film Club. She has been doing makeup for some years now and is a MUA for pageants here at Hampton, other events on campus and in the Hampton Roads community. She also works at the Hampton University radio station, WHOV. Outside of her school activities she is the managing Editor for The Petty Punch. She is an aspiring radio host and hopes to one day have her own talk show. You can also catch her working at Victoria Secret as a sales associate! If you know Arianna you know she is a cheerful soul, a lover of all things makeup, and always repping her hometown, the 757.

HC: Where did you find your love for doing makeup? 

AH: It first started off as just a hobby, but then I realized I was bomb at it so I decided to do it for others. When I realized the impact I had by just doing someone’s makeup, that’s when my true passion began.  

Below is some of her work from the Miss Black and Gold Pageant

HC: Where do you get your inspiration for your daily makeup looks?

AH:  YouTube was the number one place I got my inspiration from, but now Instagram has so many pages dedicated to makeup that I look there first now for anything.

HC: What do you recommend to people who are just starting out in makeup?

AH: You don’t have to start off with high end brands like Lancôme and Tarte. Many products in the drug store are literally dupes for high end or even better. I recommend Maybelline Fit Me Foundation, Airspun Translucent Powder, and Lo’real products as staples for everyone starting off in makeup. Brushes play a vital role and it is crucial to invest in them, however, Morphe has cheap amazing brushes.

HC: What are your career goals after graduation?

AH: I would like to start off as a radio personality and, then, eventually have my own talk show focusing on everyday issues, relationships, and entertainment news.

HC: What are you doing now to work towards those goals?

AH: I am currently the Managing Editor for entertainment and gossip site, The Petty Punch. As the editor I manage the website, social media post, the podcast, and record recaps for reality shows. I also continue to build my craft by working with WHOV radio and with my past internship at Atlanta Black Star.

HC: Growing up in the Hampton Roads Area what made you want to stay close to home and attend Hampton University?

AH: Honestly, I wasn’t going to stay here but Hampton offered me money. Now, I’m on the fence as to whether or not I should have left. I love all the genuine connections and friends I made, but I just wish I was in a different environment.

HC: If you could define one word to describe yourself what would it be and why?

AH: I would say ambitious because I truly believe that everyone has the same 24 hours, so I use my hours to grind to get to where I want to be in life.

HC: What is one thing that people would never expect to know about you?

AH: A lot people don’t know that I was a “theatre geek.” I starred in a play called “If A Man Don’t Work A Man Don’t Eat” with Shirley Murdock, Wendy Raquel Robinson, and more. I stopped acting because I didn’t have enough time, but I hope to get back into it.

HC: How do you balance work life, school, and all your extra curricular activities?

AH: I really don’t even know how to answer that question because I ask myself that all the time. I’m still learning how to not take too much on my plate, but for right now I just plan everything by the hour in order to stay organized.

HC: What do you do most in your free time?

AH: Free time? What’s that? Haha. My free time consists of staying up with the latest entertainment news to post on The Petty Punch’s Instagram consistently.  

HC: If you could tell your old self one thing while starting out at Hampton what would it be?

AH: Do not get caught up into what everyone else is doing. Focus on you and building your brand or expanding your craft. I feel like people get too caught up in Hampton, and they forget there is life outside of Hampton, so just stay focused on the end goal.

Kelsey Crimiel is a Junior strategic communications major, marketing minor from northern Virginia. She is very active on campus, and serves as a YouTube correspondent for Her Campus HamptonU. Kelsey is also a College Girls Inc. ambassador, a member of the junior class executive council, and a member of Q.U.E.E.N. mentoring program. She hopes to one day work in the music industry as a Publicist and Event Coordinator.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.