Campus Celebrity: Ja’nae Degraff

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

If you attended Battle Of the States last year you would be sure to remember Ja’nae Degraff’s breathtaking performance of Jay-Z’s “Empire State of Mind” for the North Side. Ja’nae is a International Relations major, Spanish minor from Long Island, NY and since New Student Orientation week she has made sure to showcase her talent and prove herself on campus. With her rich and soulful voice she is truly a standout performer. She is also extremely active when it comes to performing on campus and is always looking to network and collaborate with other artists as well.

Ja’nae has been playing the guitar for three years and began to take music seriously in seventh grade which is when she really realized that she could sing and actually sounded good. Ironically when she first began to write her own songs, her songs were pop styled and very “happy” and now her music is a mix of r&b, soul, and indie-rock.  Although Ja’nae has a huge presence performing on campus her presence is just as strong in chapel. Her faith and commitment to God is something that she takes extremely seriously. She is currently the Vice President of Women’s Ministry and sings for our gospel choir His Chosen Sounds. Ja’nae is currently taking a step back from performing on campus so frequently and focusing on perfecting her craft. Her dedication to her craft and loyalty to her faith in God is why she is our campus celebrity of the week!

Alyssa Wynter is currently a sophomore Kinesiology major at Hampton University. Hailing from the suburbs of Long Island, New York she found herself being fascinated by literature at a young age. Self-described as a bookworm and nerd, she takes pleasure in reading, writing or editing papers for leisure. In addition to Her Campus, Alyssa writes her own blog 'Life as Lav'. With plans to study abroad and to travel the world she is ready and excited to learn and experience new cultures first hand. Her ultimate goal is to become a physical therapist and to continue her exploration in journalism.