Campus Celebrity: Brock Robinson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is Brock Robinson, a senior Business Management major from Richmond, Virginia. He is a Spring ‘16 initiate of the Gamma Iota Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated., and serves as the Chapter President. He is a member of the National Association of Black Accounts and is the 2nd VP of the Virginia Chapters of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. (VACAPAF). You’ve probably seen him hosting various events on campus, strolling in Holland, or just hanging out in the student center chatting it up.

HC: If you could pick 3 words to describe yourself what would it be and why?

BR: The first word would have to be fearless because I’ll try anything at least once and see how it goes. The next word is outgoing, I like talking to everybody, and I’m always open to getting to know new people. I consider myself to be a pretty personable person. The last word be tired, I’m always on the go rarely have any time to sleep.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

BR: I want to go into law enforcement, whether that’s going to the police department, working for the FBI, or secret service. I’m a Business Management major so i’m open to consulting being a second option, but I definitely want to work in the Washington D.C. and Northern Virginia area.

HC: What do you look for in a girl, and what would you say is a deal breaker in a relationship?

BR: Definitely a girl who has confidence, and someone who is mature. I don’t like when girls aren’t confident in themselves and question everything I do. A deal breaker is when a girl has too many people in our business, especially when friends get involved.

HC: How do you balance Greek life with your personal life?

BR: It was definitely confusing at first trying to balance everything out once I became an Alpha. I’ve always stayed true to myself, I still have the same friends from freshman year. We make sure we still hang out on a consistent basis whether it’s getting together on a Sunday night once a month, or just meeting up for drinks.

HC: You were on the Lacrosse team a few years back when Hampton made history for having the first D1 African American Lacrosse team, can you tell me what that was like?

BR: This was one of the craziest experiences that I’ve ever had. I’ve played lacrosse since fourth grade and by senior year I had many offers to play D2 and D3 Lacrosse around the country. I turned them down and made the decision to come to Hampton thinking that my Lacrosse career was over. Sophomore year a blessing came out of nowhere and they decided to make a D1 team, I felt like it was meant to be. Still to this day, they play the national Lacrosse championship on ESPN [and] they show highlights of me scoring the first goal ever in school history. Just having that memory I’ll always be able to come back and have that special connection to Hampton. It was great knowing that I was apart of history, truly a blessing from God.

HC: You’ve recently started hosting a lot of events on campus, what made you want to start hosting and is that something you see yourself doing after graduation?

BR: Hosting was another time I decided to be fearless, and gave it a chance. I believe one of my first events was hosting a Holland and I found a liking to it. I like engaging with the crowd as well as talking on mic. After college maybe, maybe not, it’s fun for now so I guess I’ll keep hosting until the fun runs out.

HC: What would say has been your biggest accomplishments thus far?

BR: My biggest accomplishment honestly would be making it this far, to almost the middle of my senior year. Aside from that, I would say being a Division 1 athlete at one point, becoming an Alpha and now serving as the president of my chapter. I never saw this coming, but becoming an Alpha really strengthened my leadership skills, and showed me that I really have a voice. I also serve as highest college brother in all of Virginia for the fraternity, so my brothers have really helped give me the confidence I needed to be a good leader.

HC: What do you feel are some misconceptions people have about you?

BR: Probably that all frat guys are the same, and that all they do is party and mess with a lot of girls, that’s not the case. People also think that because I wear my letters, I think I’m too good, that’s not true at all. I sit in the Student Center and go to Hollands just like everyone else.

HC: What or who has inspired you over the years?

BR: My grandparents have been my biggest inspirations; they passed away a few years ago. The things they taught me really pushed me to keep going. I also looked up to the older Alphas I met when I first got on campus who were doing amazing things. They also pushed me, and checked in, making sure I was doing what I was supposed to be doing. They became mentors and really help guide me during my time at Hampton and have continued to give me great advice.

HC: How would you say your Hampton experience has been now that you’re a senior, and do you feel like you’ve left your mark at Hampton?

BR: My Hampton experience has been amazing, everything I could ask for. From the group of friends I’ve gained, to being an Alpha, hosting events, networking and really having fun. Last Christmas break while sitting at a restaurant in Richmond with a Hampton sweatshirt on, I got a job offer on the spot from an Alumni. During my time here I’ve learned more than I expected to and have really grown as a person.

As far as leaving my mark, definitely. I feel like you don’t have to do a lot to leave your mark, but just making a little of a difference. Me just being as personable as I can, and also being apart of history with Lacrosse has helped me leave my mark.

Be sure to follow Brock on Twitter @realbrockrob and Instagram @realbrockrob!

Kelsey Crimiel is a Junior strategic communications major, marketing minor from northern Virginia. She is very active on campus, and serves as a YouTube correspondent for Her Campus HamptonU. Kelsey is also a College Girls Inc. ambassador, a member of the junior class executive council, and a member of Q.U.E.E.N. mentoring program. She hopes to one day work in the music industry as a Publicist and Event Coordinator.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.