scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
Shondaland / Netflix
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

On December 25, 2020, Netflix released their new series Bridgerton. If you are wondering whether or not to binge this 1813 London dramatic comedy, here is your guide. This is your formal warning that this article does contain spoilers, so get out your finest china and let’s unpack this Netflix’s series.

The television show, created by Chris Van Dusen and produced by Shonda Rhimes, is based on Julia Quinn’s novels. The first season follows the life of Daphne Bridgerton and the people who are a part of her journey into adulthood. However, Lady Bridgerton’s quest for love does not come as easily as most. The woman who declares if Daphne Bridgerton is eligible for marriage is no other than the Queen herself. Every woman who desires to get married in the coming season must present herself in front of the Queen. The Queen’s opinion is held in the highest regard. Therefore, when the almighty Queen describes Daphne as “flawless, my dear,” Lady Bridgerton becomes the most sought out bachelorette in the town.

Even though the series is centered around Lady Bridgerton’s love life, Netflix’s new heartthrob has taken over social media.  His name is Simon Basset, widely known as The Duke of Hastings. The eligible bachelor and Lady Bridgerton hatch up a plan to pretend they are in an innocent situationship, in order to make Lady Bridgerton coveted for marriage, and for everyone to stop questioning the relationship status of the Duke. Yes, the plot contains more depth to it, however I promised to keep the spoilers to a minimum.

This drama-filled series also includes some mystery to spice up the plot. The series is narrated by the mysterious, Lady Whistledown. Lady Whistledown’s articles come out after every major event in the series; however, no one knows who analyzes the lives of the Englanders. She reports on the ins and outs of the residents. The season finale reveals the hidden identity of the writer to the nosey Bridgerton watchers. 

Now that we have established who and what Bridgerton is, let’s talk about why this show has caught the attention of so many people. Aside from the classiest fashion, Bridgerton also teleports their audience to the early 1800s Regency time period- a time period full of high teas, fancy dresses, and elegant balls. Bridgerton appeals to most people because it is an escape from the hassle of life as the show centers around the leisurely activity of the Englanders. The high-class characters in Bridgerton do not have real jobs; they merely sit around and discuss the gossip of the city. The show provides an excellent escape from the hardships of reality with an aristocratic flare.

In addition to being used as an escapism from the dreariness of life, Bridgerton gives the audience an enormous amount of detail into the sexual journey of Lady Bridgerton.  From the beginning of the series, Daphne is shielded away from the possibility that a woman could have any sexual experience before marriage; however, by the end of season one, Daphne has become well educated in the love making between woman and man. The sexual chemistry between Lady Bridgerton and the Duke will have any hopeless romantic on the edge of their seats waiting for the next episode.

The latest Netflix series includes a great sum of drama, comedy, and sexual tension that will have you begging for more at the end of every episode. I advise any person reading this article to take the next step and fully get invested in the lives of these aristocrats. So, grab your tiniest sandwiches and your most elegant attire, and watch Netflix’s new series Bridgerton.

Sydney Broadnax

Hampton U '23

Sydney Broadnax is currently a senior journalism major with an area of concentration in english from Detroit, Michigan. She has been in Hercampus since freshman year of college and is excited to serve as 2022-2023 Editor-In-Chief. She cannot wait to share her love for writing with her Hercampus chapter
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!