Breast Cancer Tea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The Gamma Iota Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Incorporated hosted its first Pink for a Purpose tea honoring breast cancer awareness month. The tea’s guest included some of Hampton University’s most prominent leaders on campus such as Miss Hampton, the Student Government Association Vice President,  and members of the Sister to Sister organization. Each guest were served tea and a pastry of their choice to snack on throughout the discussion panel

There were three speakers on the program who expressed about their battles with breast cancer and their paths on remission. They each had a different story to tell of how their process began with starting with a feel of a lump in the breast, to chemo treatments and radiation. Their testimonies were very inspiring and each of speakers encouraged everyone who attended the tea to check themselves on a regular basis, know their body, and when they get older to get yearly mammograms.

During the tea there was a break period where every female at each table had a chance to express their knowledge about breast cancer, and give testimonials. It was amazing to hear how each woman was impacted by breast cancer whether it was on a personal level or just stating facts that they had learned growing up.

The Pink for a Purpose tea was a success and it did a great job of bringing the awareness breast cancer on Hampton University’s campus. It was amazing to see such beautiful women who were diagnosed with the disease eager to share their stories with young women so they can be informed about breast cancer and what comes with it.