The Brains Behind ThoroLyfe: Morris Taylor aka MoThoro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

If you are looking for good music from a great artist, look no further. Hampton University, meet Mr. Morris Taylor – also known as “Mo.” This rapper, producer, and music enthusiast is a second year, 5-Year MBA Major from Los Angeles, California. I got a chance to sit down with the music aficionado and learn a little bit about his music background and latest project.

HC: What makes you an artist?

MO: What makes me an artist is my creative mind. My ability to hear melodies and hear flows and hear rhyme schemes within a specific track. That takes talent. My ability to create lyrics that are not only meaningful but can also appeal to the audience that I please to. I feel like that all around makes me an artist.

HC: How would you describe the type of music you create?

MO: The type of music that I put out is literally a reflection of me and my life. So it’s not all the way conscious but it’s also not all they way “turn up and party” either. I have a little bit of both. For example, on my album I have a couple of cuts where I’m talking about the injustices going on in today’s society. I have a song called “Unrest” talking specifically about that. Then I have other songs where I’m talking about turning up and partying. You know, me just being a young man. One is called “Tryna Get Active.”  Everything along those lines -every aspect of my life. I literally cope with my life by writing.

HC: What artist has influenced your writing and producing the most?

MO: I feel like if I had to pick one artist that influenced me the most it would probably be Kendrick Lamar. Just because he’s from LA and I’ve actually seen him grow into the artist he’s become. And that’s inspiring. Just seeing him and his progression over the years. Not only is he inspiring, but also he kind of made a lane for those out in LA to really develop their own talent and not sound like anyone else.

HC: Tell me about your latest project.

MO: This album that I just dropped on August 12th, is called ThoroLyfe: Transition. Basically, this is the first installment of the ThoroLyfe series. This is my first solo album and I plan to put out other albums and mixtapes under the ThoroLyfe name. I feel pretty good about it. It’s been really well-received. I recorded 12 tracks over the summer. I was working at an internship, but it was something that I really put my mind towards and just made it happen.

HC: What is your favorite track on the album?

MO: That’s like picking between your kids! If I had to pick my favorite, it would probably be between “Cause and Effect” and “Starstruck.” I love those songs. And it’s funny because those two songs are the most slept on. Everybody likes “Tryna Get Active” or “Unrest.” But my favorite two are the ones that aren’t even really talked about. The reason why I like “Cause and Effect” is because I’m talking about four different stories and I just tied all of them together. Basically, you always have consequences for your actions. And “Starstruck” is a song for the ladies, for real. I love that song because I like the production. I love the baseline. I just like how everything sounds. And I’m singing on it a little bit too.

HC: What is your favorite love song?

MO: That’s a hard one! I really like love songs too. I like anything that feels like it’s honest and comes straight from the heart. And there’s not a lot of songs where I feel like artists are being honest with themselves when they’re writing love songs. And love is powerful. But if I had to pick, I’m a big Badu fan and a big Common fan as well. And I like “The Light” a lot. That’s probably my favorite hip-hop love song. My favorite R&B love song would probably be “Orange Moon” by Erykah Badu.

HC: What is your favorite song to get hype to?

MO: Probably “Pineal Gland” by Ab Soul. Look that up!

HC: Where can we listen to your music?

MO: SoundCloud.com/mothoro

YouTube.com/ImThoro

iTunes: mothoro

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.