ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

“When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching— they are your family.” That famous quote was written by a man named Jim Butcher. When I read that quote, the first thing that popped into my head was my parents and my younger brother. Some people may disagree and say, “Well the first person I thought of was my best friend, we go way back. He/ she would do anything for me.” 

This may be true but if you take a second to think about the quote and what it’s telling you, you’ll see that it’s saying no matter what crazy things happen in your life, whether it’s life changing or not, your family will always have your back. Not the family that magically appeared in the picture when you were a child and have no idea where they stand in the family tree. I’m talking about your immediate family. Your parents, sisters, brothers, even your grandparents. Now I know some people may not live with those people I listed, so pretend I did, you get the picture. The importance of having a good relationship with your immediate family is like no other. 

They are people who would do anything for you no matter what it takes to get you there. People that’ll give you accurate advice, even if it may hurt because they don’t want to see you fail. A family consists of people that are there with you from the beginning to the end and love you for who you are. People you can be 100 % yourself around, and not feel judged because you know they have to put up with your weird ways. No, but seriously, they put up with you because they love you.

“Not only are they there for you in great times of triumph, but they are also there for you at your lowest points. They know you better than anyone else, and know that they can tell how you are feeling even if you don’t vocalize it. You can tell them anything and they will provide you with not only advice, but often a different and much wiser perspective. You can be your truest self around your family because no matter what happens, they will always have your back. Tension and problems within families must always be resolved- in the end, you are all each other have,” according to Odyssey Online.

A benefit to being close with your immediate family is that you get to learn more things about yourself. Things people outside your family wouldn’t know. Like your culture, and what made you, you. Sometimes the skills we possess usually come from someone in the family. Whether that’s drawing, making music, even the way you write. No, I’m not talking about what you actually write, even though that is a part of this, I’m talking about whether you’re left or right handed.  

“If a baby’s father is left- handed, there is a slight chance the baby might be too, but if his mother is left- handed, then the possibility increases exponentially. If both parents are left-handed, the baby will be so too,” according to Parenting First Cry

The article later added if a lot of people on the mother’s family tree are left- handed, chances are they child will inherit this trait. That goes for personality traits too. 

In my case, writing plays a huge role on my dad’s side of the family. Every single person on my dad’s side was a creative in some shape or form. My great grandfather, grandmother, even my father are all great writers. Then there’s me. I’m in school for journalism. Writing isn’t a task for me, well news writing is, but that’s not the point in this story.  The point is, everything you were given, your personality traits, characteristics, skills, etc. they were passed down to you from different members of your family. 

There are several benefits to being close to your family. You get to learn things about yourself that you couldn’t possibly find out alone. Though some people aren’t close to their family, it is important to know that they’re there for you no matter what. Even if it feels like they aren’t, they are.

Amani Madyun

Hampton U '20

My name is Amani Madyun. I’m a graduating senior, Journalism major minor in Cinema Studies. I’m from Newport News, Va. After college I plan to go to film school.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.