This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Spring Break came to a speedy end, and HU students are back on campus to complete the spring semester.  Spring Semester at HU means probates, freshman week, SOJU cab, senior ball, BOTS and etc.  These are just a few of the HU traditions that students look forward to every year. This year’s BOTS was particularly unique because instead of the usual 5 regions competing –The DMV, The North, The South, West, and Midwest, only the South, West, and Midwest were in the competition.

Photo Credit: Joanna Rowell

For those that are not familiar, BOTS is Hampton’s annual showcase of all the regions that makeup the student body. There are three portions to the competition: fashion, dance, and talent. Each region has about 3 minutes each to display what makes their region the best. And it gets really competitive. Freshman students spend months working hard getting ready for the show to prove their region is the best.

Photo Credit: Joanna Rowell

As expected, many HU students were disappointed in the change. Normally Ogden Hall is packed to capacity with audience members. This year, not so much. Compared to previous years, the show out was poor. Despite the lack of all regions, people did come out to enjoy the show. The 3 regions brought out their best this year with creative themes and high energy. The West did not come to play this year. Their theme was ‘Toy Story’, and with bright colors, fast pace dance moves, and perfect toy/doll costumes had the crowd lit the entire time. For their talent section, they even paid tribute to fallen HU student Cullen Haviland, who past last year. The South chose an Army theme that featured precise dance moves and lots and lots of army fatigue. The West incorporated ‘The Wizard of Oz’ and totally nailed the Dorothy, tin man, lion, and scarecrow costumes. The crowd favorite seemed to be the West.

The South wound up taking the win at the end of the night, but with only three regions involved that’s to be expected. Hopefully next year, all regions will be brought back to make for a good competition. After all, BOTS is nothing without the DMV.

Photo Credit: Joanna Rowell

Socorro Kenoly is a senior, Strategic Communication major in Hampton University's Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications. Socorro is a proud Hamptonian hailing from Atlanta, Georgia.