Boo To You! Safety Expedition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Gremlins, goblins, and ghosts come out and roam the streets on Halloween night. Children dressed as princesses and their favorite superhero bounce around from home to house collecting as much candy as they can. Halloween is the night where you can dress up as anything and you cannot be judged as to what you are wearing. For college students, it’s the perfect night to coordinate costumes with friends and indulge in parties and candy.  

However, Halloween is also the night where most assaults/rapes happen on campus and this has become a hazard for many universities. Many students during this holiday will be consuming alcohol, ingesting substances, running rampant. It is important for everyone to be safe. According to the Huffington Post, college students need to stay alert, stay with groups and never leave your group, never walk by yourself a night, listen to your body physical reactions, and always have your phone fully charged. (Source:Huffingtonpost).

Staying alert to your surroundings is important because you can never know when someone’s following you or watching what you do. “ Halloween safety is really important especially for college students because many people have ended up stranded at a place they do not know where they are and the worst part is that everyone’s phone is dead by the end of the night,” says Assiyah Johnson, a junior, Psychology major. Never leave without the people you came to a party/ function with because most of the time many people are missing and nobody can find you or your whereabouts. “It happens so many time when I go out with my friends and someone ends up leaving the group and we cannot find them. It’s a hassle trying to find them but we just want to make sure they are safe and if we want to leave the party then they need to come along with us” says Nathia Holson a senior Political science major.

“I cannot wait to dress up for Halloween, honestly it is one of my favorite holidays. But I fully understand the safety the comes on Halloween night. I wouldn’t want myself or any of my friends to get hurt on Halloween night” says Nia Griffin a junior Psychology major.

Remember to stay safe on Halloween and remember these helpful suggestions that will help keep you and your friends safe. Nobody should become another statistic of anything that happened on Halloween night.

Her Campus Contributor Account 
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.