Collection of Bobbi Made This Statement Earrings
Photo by Bobbi Brown-Mayo
Style

Bobbi Made This, Jewelry’s Rising Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Bobbi Brown-Mayo’s brand, Bobbi Made This, has been featured in Beyonce’s Black Parade, Tia Mowry’s Quick Fix, and Buzzfeed! Now she is taking on Her Campus. The handmade polymer clay earrings are available in lots of funky shapes and vibrant colors. Bobbi Brown-Mayo is a worker from home, mother of four. She is also a proud alumna of North Carolina A&T State University. I spoke with Bobbi about her journey as an entrepreneur.

What inspired you to create an earring line?

I originally bought polymer clay earrings off of Instagram. I liked them because they were so lightweight. It intrigued me. So I asked the owner if it was okay if I started making earrings. I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could do it.

What challenges did you face when first starting your business?

The most challenging part was the unknown. I didn’t have the resources or knew how to make it. Polymer clay has been around a long time. It’s only been in style for a few years. I had to go out of my way to find techniques to craft them.

Where do you draw inspiration from when designing a new style?

Colors are my thing! I love monochrome and geometric shapes. I wanted to make something bold, feminine, and fun!

Can you take me back to the moment when you found out you were featured on Beyonce’s website?

A friend called asking if I’ve seen the website. I didn’t know Beyonce was going to feature me. At first, I was panicky, and asking “What does this mean?” and “What comes next?” Then I had to not think about it and get to work. I got more orders in one day than I did since I started the business. I make all of the earrings by myself, so I was busy. It was overwhelming but nice. I felt validated in what I was doing. 

What makes your business unique?

The push to celebrate black-owned businesses gave me more exposure. Having a bunch of eyes on me was amazing. It was a trend at the time but people are coming back. When I buy from brands I look for transparency- not only with the products but something about them makes me feel good. I think people are coming back not just because they like my earring, but I make myself available for them to like me too.

Where do you see your brand in 5 years? What’s next for Bobbi Made This?

Two months ago if you’d asked this I’d had no idea. I really want Bobbi Made This to be a household name and carried in major stores. I want it to be affordable and accessible jewelry, but I want to be respected and people to respect my craft. I’m putting together press kits to send to people now. The goal is for more people to see my brand. 

What has helped you get to where you are and what advice would you have for others who want to set off in a similar direction?

Don’t focus on the end result more than what you need to do every day. It gets overwhelming and you might get frozen in place. Give yourself daily action plans. Having people to reach onto has been a huge help. 

You can keep up with her latest earring collection by following Bobbi Made This on Instagram: @bobbimadethis. Get your own pair of beautiful, handcrafted earrings on the official website BOBBI MADE THIS.

Ryanne Howard

Hampton U '23

Ryanne Howard is a junior at Hampton University. She is a Strategic Communications major with a minor in Leadership Studies from Raleigh, North Carolina. At Hampton University she is a member of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute as well as the Student Recruitment Team. Ryanne aspires to be a Public Relations Manager for a major company in the golfing industry.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!