This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The beauty industry has become one of the largest communities in today’s society. With the constant updates to beauty products, natural hair care, and even skincare. New faces are finding new ways to change the game. 

In order to appreciate where we are today, we must take a moment to acknowledge those women of color who are inspiring feature beauty enthusiasts to step up to the plate. 

Rihanna 

Back in 2017, Robyn Rihanna Fenty took the beauty industry by storm with the launch of her makeup brand ‘Fenty Beauty”. In doing so Rihanna made history by being the first makeup brand to release over 40 different shades of foundation shade variations. Her makeup brand broke barriers as she created a whole new generation of makeup. With her campaigns being 

geared towards Black women, she has single handily created a brand that embraces black culture. Due to the immense amount of people who supported Fenty Beauty she was able to inspire other existing makeup brands to create a variety of shades for women of color. 

Jackie Aina

“Jackie, Jackie, Jackie… well, you know the rest! Jackie Aina has become one of the world’s largest and most beloved Youtubers and Influencers in today’s society. With over 3.2 million subscribers on youtube, Jackie Aina has become one of the world’s most popular and well-known makeup guru. Jackie is known for her outgoing and vibrant personality on social media- through her channel she has shined a light on the importance of makeup for women of color, especially amongst the dark skin community. In 2018 she became the very first Beauty Influencer to recieve an NAACP Award for her advocacy of diversity within the beauty community. Due to her honest reviews and activism towards brands becoming more inclusive with her color shades- she has influenced top brands like Too Faced to make a larger shade range and embrace all different skin tones. 

Pat McGrath 

Pat is one of the world’s most well-known makeup artists in today’s day and age. Back in 2017, she made history as the first black women and makeup artist to recieve a ‘Founder’s Award from the Council of Fashion Designers of America due to her amazing work within the beauty/fashion industry. Pat has broken various barriers within the beauty community- and due to her spontaneous looks and style, she has created trends that many artists mimic today. Her work has been used for some of the top luxury brands, including four of her own personal brands. Her most successful brand McGrath Labs was created to introduce new breathtaking trends and discoveries to use in the makeup industry. Pat is not on a trailblazer for a new and upcoming makeup artist but she demonstrates what it means to let creativity and innovation take your mind to new heights. 

These are just a few women who have drastically changed the industry, the younger generation is now starting to step up and pave the way for the next group of MUA’s and influencers. 

As we reflect on Women’s Month, let us honor those who have paved the way for us to be where we are today. Especially in the beauty community, diversity and inclusion was not an easy path. 

Due to the bravery, perseverance, and passion for the art itself- we are now able to be represented across multiple platforms. These women, along with many more have opened the door to endless possibilities in the industry. 

Beauty is all around us, and the unique thing about this industry is there is no one definition of beauty- you defy the odds and embrace what beauty means to you.

Ciara White-Sparks is a Junior Broadcast Journalism major & Marketing minor from Las Vegas, Nevada. Her goal is to pursue a career in Entertainment as a Media Correspondent and TV Host. While working as a Public Relations Consultant. Ciara is involved in a plethora of organizations on campus. She has a podcast entitled, "Seriously Flawed but Destined to be Great." A virtual talk show, entitled "The Saturday Social," is now streaming on YouTube. Lastly, she has her non-profit movement entitled, “F.B.W. The Movement” which is dedicated to speaking purpose into girls the ages 13-18. She is a lover of all things beauty and pageantry and she hopes to be the next Miss USA in the year 2024.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.