Black Panther Premiere & What to Expect From This New Film

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Celebrated stars lined up at the Black Panther Premiere in Los Angeles on January 29th, a few weeks before the film opens in theatres on February 16th. Right on time for Black History Month, fans have been following the progress of the movie and the largely black cast starring Michael B. Jordan, Chadwick Boseman and the breathtakingly beautiful, Lupita Nyong’o. Along with other celebrities, the cast was spotted on the red carpet strutting African themed clothing and purple, the color of royalty and photos quickly went viral in the black community. The women in Black Panther have powerful and fierce roles portraying Queen’s of their society. Angela Bassett, a queen in real life plays the beautiful character of Ramonda and looked nothing short of greatness at the premiere.   

This new Marvel film follows “Captain America: Civil War” after numerous attempts of trying to get a Black Panther movie made for over 20 years. In case you have no idea what has happened in previous Marvel films, here’s some background knowledge. Chadwick Boseman who plays Black Panther, is King of the most technologically advanced African country on Marvel’s earth, Wakanda. The Black Panther is a skilled fighter and has abnormally fast speed, reflexes, and senses which pretty much makes him kick butt. This is the first time Black Panther has made the big screen and Marvel’s first film to feature a black superhero but there has also been said to be “political controversy” as it is a reflection of today’s society. More importantly, the film was named “bold, beautiful, and intense” by managing editor of Fandango, Erik Davis.

To sum up the appreciation and praises of the film, Black Panther is going to be a hit and something you don’t want to miss! Be sure to get your tickets early because this is Black Excellence at it’s finest and a time for the black community to celebrate. Catch the soundtrack for the film co-produced by Kendrick Lamar with songs featuring SZA and Future out February 9th!

Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.