This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Fear swells in the eyes of a young man as he stumbles into the doors of the unfamiliar. Holding on to his father’s leg tight with both arms, he wonders where he could be and what’s bound to happen. His cloud of thought broken by the swift motion of his body upward and into a booster seat on a salon chair. The impression of his light-up Skechers poke through the long black cape draped over his 3-year-old frame. He was about to get his first haircut.

The barbershop has been a right of passage for black sons since way back when. According to the National Museum of African American History and Culture, barbering began in the 19th century during the period of slavery. Slave masters would lease the slave barbers to people in their community to groom white men. Because of their high demand, many slaves actually “cut their way to freedom”. After the long period of slavery, barbering took off. Black barbers became entrepreneurs by creating their own businesses and gaining their own clientele. Barbershops are not just places to get hair care services, they serve as safe havens where black men can be themselves without repercussion. You can go to laugh, to cry, to argue, or to vent about whatever happens to be on your mind that day. Talk of the latest NBA game, Halle Berry, and the buzzing of a slightly worn set of Wahl clippers are just a few of many sounds you may hear in the barbershop. Many men I know would describe the barbershop as a place of friendliness, fellowship, and safety. It is a place black men have gone for years to seek solace from a world that fights against them. Think of it as a mini town hall meeting, or even a therapy session, but you won’t need your insurance card. Once a client finds a barber they like, they form a special bond. The cherished relationship between barber and client is very personal. People often joke about “cheating” on their barbers but it is a true act of disloyalty. Your barber may never forgive you!

Today, barbershops continue to be a focal point for black communities and provide a plethora of opportunities within the world of entrepreneurship. 

Hey beautiful people! I am Madison Williams, second-year Journalism major from Dallas, Texas and I am studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I love to use writing as my creative outlet and I am so happy to be apart of HerCampus so I can put my writing skills to good use!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!