This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

If you’ve been around any college-aged girl in the last two weeks, it’s likely you’ve heard them say, Big Latto! The signature adlib comes from one of rap’s fresh faces, the beautiful and talented Mulatto. Formerly known as Miss Mulatto, the Clayton County Atlanta native first got a taste of the mainstream spotlight when she participated in Season 1 of Jermaine Dupri’s, “The Rap Game,” back in 2016. Mulatto won the competition, which awards one young artist with a SoSo Def Diamond Pendant Chain and a record deal with SoSo Def. Since then, she has continued to put out EPs, singles, and collaborations that have only added fuel to the already brewing fire. 

Mulatto’s breakout single, “B**** From The South,” definitely played a large role in reigniting her light and reintroducing herself to listeners. The single, released in January 2019, quickly became an anthem for girls everywhere. When a northern girl like myself identifies with a song all about declaring southern heritage, you know an artist is doing something right, and you have no choice but to pay attention. Mulatto teamed up with West Coast Rapper Saweetie and the Dade County Icon, Trina, in late 2019 for the, “B**** From The South Remix,” and it has only been up from there for the rising rap star. 

At the beginning of August, Mulatto released photographs of herself via twitter recreating iconic photoshoots of Gucci Mane from the early ’00s. As you know, imitation is the highest form of flattery, and rapper Gucci Mane was thrilled. However, reactions from twitter were mixed. Some loved it, some hated it, but the lyricist didn’t care. The photos were meant to build hype for her single, “Muwop (feat. Gucci Mane),” that would drop the same week. The single, a modernized remix to Gucci Mane’s 2007 hit, “Freaky Girl,” was well-received by many. Mulatto has the cadence and versatility that allows her to seamlessly flow on old Atlanta beats while also adding a feminine, sensually aggressive twist of her own. Mulatto has a flow that screams, I know I’m that girl, he knows I’m that girl, and I’m nothing to be played with, period.

On August 21st, 2020, Mulatto released her debut album, “Queen Of Da Souf,” under StreamCut and RCA records. With features from 21 Savage, 42 Dugg, The City Girls, Saweetie, and Trina, the culture had no choice but to listen, and trust, we have not regretted it. “Queen Of Da Souf,” has an extremely diverse soundtrack: we have the club anthems, the freestyles, the love songs, and even a few tracks for the guys.The album debuted at 44 on the Billboard Top 200. All of the songs on “Queen Of Da Souf” are in heavy rotation on my playlist, but if I had to pick a favorite, “In N Out (Feat. The City Girls)” really gets me hype and in a carefree mood like none other.  Mulatto uses “Queen Of Da Souf” to serve and showcase the range of talent she possesses, and to let us know, she’s here to stay. 

Mulatto has landed herself a spot among the XXL 2020 Freshman Class, which is a major accomplishment for rising rap stars. Being able to witness Mulatto’s growth from a 16 year old on the Rap Game to a now 21 year old female lyricist allows fans to appreciate her grind and ride for her that much more. Mulatto’s pen game has never been an issue, but the pivot to adult topics has been both notable and played a large role in her growing success and recognition. What sets Mulatto apart from other female rappers right now is her flexibility and the ability to be sexy, aggressive, and switch flows, all in the same verse, and her drive. Mulatto raps like she’s hungry for success, and 2020 is definitely her year to eat. So, is Big Latto the new Queen Of The South? I believe it’s safe to say the throne is being built, and she is well on her way.

Cheyenne Paterson is a senior English major, Strategic Communications minor studying at Hampton University from Boston, MA. She aspires to combine storytelling and an editorial style of writing to increase audience engagement and advocate for brands and corporations. Cheyenne is the Editor-In-Chief for Hampton University's Chapter of Her Campus, a regular contributor to Impressions of Beauty, and the President of the Peer Counselor's organization on campus. In her free time, Cheyenne enjoys dabbling in interior design, perfecting her homemade coffee, and baking new recipes!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!