The BEST Organization for Black Women in the Media Field

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

What better way to connect with other minority women in your field than with Black Girls in Media? 

This organization was created by publicist and entrepreneur Tasha McCaskiel with YOU in mind. 

Every great thing in life starts off small and eventually grows. This is the story for the growing network we now know as Black Girls in Media (BGIM). It all began after Tasha decided to put her passion for helping women obtain their dream jobs to the test and create a space for minority women, more specifically Black women, to have a connecting line between themselves, other professionals, and the media industry. After launching in 2017, the brand began to host monthly events and list various job opportunities that have been utilized by its members. This organization has a private membership that you can pay for monthly or annually. However, if you are not a member, you can still access some of the information that they make available per their social media pages.

From my personal experience, it is truly worth the money! The organization provides you with numerous job and internship opportunities, it lets you network with other women in the field, and you get exclusive access to events that BGIM hosts included in your subscription. The social media page is just the tip of the iceberg. The page posts countless opportunities, tips, and motivational posts for young women in the media field that are most helpful. 

Not only is the organization a private club and social media page, but it is also a PODCAST! The Black Girls in Media Podcast is hosted by Danteé Ramos, Kelly Ray, and Shelby Smith. All of whom are media gurus in the fields of news, communications, and entertainment. The podcast consists of storytelling and tips that are shared with the intention of educating other women. This podcast can be found on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and RadioPublic.com. This podcast has been incorporated into my personal routine for its authenticity and having a specification on being a Black Women in the Communications field in different capacities. The authenticity of the participants and members shines brightly throughout the platform and you will feel embraced if you ever decide to interact with them. 

What I love most about the BGIM brand is its range when it comes to catering to more than one type of media professional. I’ve learned so much from people that I’ve networked on the platform and from the resources that are given throughout the membership. 

There is no specific age to join, but I would recommend being a college student or recent grad. This will help enhance relatability and connectivity when utilizing the platform.  

To learn more about Black Girls in Media, click here.

To keep up with Black Girls in Media on social media, click here.

Sherdell Baker

Hampton U '23

Sherdell Baker is an emerging trailblazer in the media industry. Along with her being President (Campus Correspondent) for Her Campus Hampton U, she also writes for her own lifestyle & advice blog and ESSENCE Girls United. Sherdell works to one day be the Editor-in-Chief of a major magazine publication or create her own magazine company and continue to share important stories after she graduates from Hampton University.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.