Style

Being Stylish Doesn’t Have to Break the Bank: Tips to Ball on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

There are many pros to being a boss. For one thing, you feel a brand-new type of confidence that can never bring you down. You also know that when you step into a room you have captured the room with your uniqueness that makes people flock to you. The only downside is the price tag on the items you may choose to accessorize with. Being a boss comes with drawbacks and may leave you with a couple of dollars in the bank but no worries, there are many ways around that issue. Wanting to look good on the outside shouldn’t also mean that you spend every last penny in the bank. So, if you’re contemplating what you can do to cut some of those corners, here are some tips:

1. thrift, thrift, THRIFT!

Thrifting is nothing new, yet I feel as though it still takes a backseat in creating a unique style of fashion. Whether you want a baggier look or to try something new, there are always gems you may find. Thrifting can also include going to consignment shops. Here you can drop off old clothes and you may get some money out of it. Either way, you can’t get upset when you don’t find that golden gem on your first try with the first 15 minutes of searching. You have to be patient because you might find that one in a million.

2. Embrace the handy downs

Now getting handy downs may be considered lame because you are getting the discarded pieces of scrap that your old siblings don’t want anymore, but it’s also a blessing. Being that your family, you guys may have a similar style, or at least something a little outside your comfort zone. Either way, take it as a good thing because you’re fortunate enough to have the opportunity to get these articles of clothing for free and style them to your liking.

3. Get creative and Stay Sustainable

Personally, this is my favorite tip: upcycling! This is a newer concept of clothing that is getting more traction now, but is so worth the hype. You might need to gain some sewing skills, but either way, you will not only have one of a kind pieces but also have the gratification that you made it yourself. So, when it comes to old clothes in the back of your closet or something you found at Goodwill that’s missing an extra “umph”. Get creative and go to your local fabric or craft store and add some sparkle to it! Never be afraid to learn a new skill because in the end all its going to do is help you one way or another.

Nia Tate

Hampton U '23

Hi, girlies! My name is Nia Tate and I am a Graduating Senior Health Sciences Major and Sociology from Seattle, Washington. I aspire to work at a non-profit organization that works towards equity in the health care system. A lot of my hobbies include yoga/meditation, kickboxing, trips to the lake, and upcycling old clothes into creating something new. I also aspire to travel the world and experience all different types of cultures and fashion. Some of my dream destinations I hope to visit include Japan, Brazil, and Greece!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!