sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Being single, like everything else in life, has pros and cons. We’ve heard many of the pros: having freedom, being able to learn about yourself, and exploring your options. But have you heard that being single has a positive impact on your health?

According to Medical News Today, singleness can increase productivity and creativity, so don’t be surprised if during your single season you’re accomplishing more than ever before. The time spent in one’s own presence allows for the flow of creative juices and new ideas to blossom.

Single people also tend to workout more than people in relationships and, therefore, have improved physical fitness. This is a step up from working on that revenge body to get back at your ex. This is indicative of a more active lifestyle overall. Medical News Today says,

“Single males spent, on average, 8 hours and 3 minutes exercising over the course of 2 weeks, compared with just 4 hours and 47 minutes for married men.”

After a long day of productivity and working out, you’re likely to curl up and go to bed and surprise, surprise — singles even sleep better. A study done by Amerisleep.com, that surveyed 2,000 Americans about their sleeping habits, discovered that single people sleep longer and better than the rest of us. So, if you’re having trouble catching Zzz’s… you know what to do.

Just kidding! But this isn’t to say that being single is better than being in a relationship. There are pros and cons to every situation and even proven health benefits of being hitched to someone else. However, there is a stigma attached to being single that it must be lonely and sad. It does not have to be. Like research suggests, being single can be fulfilling. It can create a better you in mind, body, and spirit.

Whether you’re married, single, or just boo’d up, embrace the stage you are in and look at the positive sides of it because there is good in everything.

Sources:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320924.php

https://www.amerisleep.com/blog/counting-sheep-losing-sleep/

Cassie Herring

Hampton U '21

Cassie Herring is a graduating Senior English major from Woodbridge, Virginia. She is the current Senior Editor of Hampton University's HC Chapter. She is also a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow and Co-President of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society. In her free time, she can be found writing poetry or listening to R&B. In the future, Cassie plans to earn her PhD and teach the collegiate level to empower the next generation of leaders.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.