Bed Head by TIGI Review: Is It Effective on Black Girls?

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

A very crucial part of most women’s lives is their hair. For many, including myself, if my hair is messed up, my entire appearance is as well. With so many options of hair products to choose from, many feel overwhelmed as to which products they feel would give their hair the best results possible. One of the driving factors of which products women choose is the brand. If the brand is known to only work on certain people’s hair and is not effective on others, it will determine the buying audience of the line of products.

Bed Head is a brand that is very well known and accomplished. It caters to popular culture and the demand to stay hip and on top. As a part of the Her Campus chapter at Hampton University, my colleagues and I were given free samples of Bed Head by TIGI Masterpiece Shine Hairspray, Bed Head by TIGI Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo, Bed Head by TIGI Hard Head Hairspray, and Bed Head by TIGI Oh Bee Hive! Matte Dry Shampoo.

Hairspray is used to give your hair shine or to help hold a style in place. When I tried Bed Head’s TIGI Hairspray, my hair did get a nice shine that made my hair glisten. However, it did not hold the curls I had in my hair. Not too long after I stepped outside for my classes of the day, my curls fell out rather quickly. It did help with giving my hair a shiny effect, but did not hold a style in my hair. The Bed Head TIGI Hard Head Hairspray does exactly what it’s supposed to do: hold your hair down. It left my hair feeling very stiff and hard to comb or brush through. I am not knocking the product because it does exactly what it is advertised to do. But if you do not like your hair to be stiff, I wouldn’t recommend using it. In my opinion, I feel that the products are targeted at certain types of hair, and that is perfectly fine. I would suggest that if you were looking to use these products, you should if you like just having a shiny look on your hair or for it to be hard enough to stay down in a style.

The Bed Head TIGI Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo and the Oh Bee Hive! Matte Dry Shampoo are good to use for sew-ins. They make it easier to wash your hair and it is also quicker to rinse out. Personally, I wouldn’t use the dry shampoo on my real hair because I did not like the texture that it left on it. It left my hair feeling somewhat dry, and it wasn’t moisturized. As a whole, I do not feel that Bed Head products are the best option for African American women to use to shape and style their hair, but there are some pros about the product that can be used to an effect! It is all about knowing how your hair works and how it will respond to what new products you put in it. Make the right choices on what products you use, and do what’s best for your hair type! 

Cashara Quinn

Hampton U '21

Cashara is a graduating senior Journalism major, Spanish minor from Chesapeake, Virginia. She will be a news producer at WFTX Fox 4 upon graduation. Her hobbies include playing the violin, dancing, and fashion. As Cashara continues to build her resume, she hopes to inspire young girls to work hard to achieve their goals and believes that anything is possible through Christ.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.