Battle of the States!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Battle of the States is an event that every Hamptonian looks forward to. Each year the freshmen class from each region put together a routine to go against the other regions. The regions involved in Battle of the States are the North, the South, the West, Midwest, and the DMV (DC metro area). All regions compete in three sections: fashion, dance, and talent. There are judges as well to judge and decided which region had the best routine.

On Thursday, March 20th this years Battle of the States was held in Ogden Hall. The building was filled to capacity with Hamptonians cheering on their home region. Each region brought their best with creative themes for their performances and choreography. Amongst the popular regions was the North, the Midwest, and the South who have been the reigning champs for the past two years.

As the performances were finish the audience waited and was very anxious to hear who would be the winner for this year’s Battle of the States. The North, who had a 1920’s flapper theme, and the Midwest, whose theme was based on the circus/ Cirque du Soleil were amongst the crowd favorites. But despite major support for the two regions, the South won for the third year in a row. There was much controversy over the judges decisions which could be seen through out Twitter timelines.

Overall, this year’s Battle of the States was definitely one for the books. Best of luck for next year’s participants.