The Battle of The Real HU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Who really is the Real HU? That question was answered in a back and forth fight Saturday afternoon at Armstrong Stadium as the Pirates battled the Bison’s on their own home field.  Hampton students and alumni came decked out in paraphilia and filled with school spirit as they got ready to cheer for their Hampton Pirates.This was the last game of the season against the other HU, Howard University.

Howard University arrivedr by bringing buses full of students to the game that ready to chant until their voices were gone. Although the Pirates got off to a slow start, ending the half trailing 26-7, they two teams battled it out until the end and beyond as the game concluded in double overtime. While the Hampton Pirates fought back, they could not cap off and ended up losing to the Bison’s 42-39.  

Throughout the game students from both Hampton and Howard had a fun chanting as they amped up the energy and continued on the rivalry between the schools. At one point Hampton left their side of the stadium and moved right next to where Howard students were seated. Of course words were exchanged.

Tiara Jenifer a junior from Baltimore, MD said it was all in fun, “Going back and forth was honestly just in fun. It added more to the game, and even though the Pirates lost, it was entertaining going back and forth with Howard students” With the Pirates losing the game they ended the season overall 4-8 and 4-4 in conference play. Nonetheless, Hampton still and will always remain the Real HU.