This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

“The whole world is watching Alabama to see if we take steps forward,” Jones said. “Alabama is my home, and I just want so much better for my state.”

For many Alabamians, December 12, 2017, is a date they certainly won’t forget. Tuesday, at 9:30 p.m., CNN announced Democrat Doug Jones as the new Senator of Alabama. Jone’s Republican competitor, Roy Moore is not a stranger to the public eye. This was a big advantage Jones had over his running mate.

Moore, who has held office in the past, has been removed from his position not once, but two times for not cooperating with court orders. Just a month ago, Moore was also accused of pursuing teenage girls when he was in his 30s. This information was released a month ago by The Washington Post when several women came forward about the sexual encounters Moore engaged in. This struck a chord with many of Moore’s supporters because he was seen as a very religious candidate as many of his followers shared similar views. 

Moore has since then, denied any unwarranted sexual encounters, and quickly responded to the allegations with the mention of Doug Jones and his “pro-choice radical” support of abortion. He even went as far as suggesting a recount of votes after losing to Jones by 1.5 percent.

Nonetheless, Alabama natives were pleased with the victory because of the long-standing history of Alabama and it’s racial issues and deep red roots. It has been a long time since the state has seen a Democrat in office and voters are happy to see some change. Doug Jones leads with change for Alabama with his support of ObamaCare, same-sex marriage, and abortion.

Jasmine Kromah is a second year, strategic communications student from Charlotte, NC. She currently attends Hampton University.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.