This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week’s Athlete of the Week is Saheem Anthony, a junior Liberal Studies major from Brooklyn, New York. He plays on the Hampton Men’s Basketball team as a shooting guard. He has 2 siblings, a brother and a sister. For as long as he can remember, Saheem he has loved the game. Let’s gain some more insight on this basketball star. 

How long have you played basketball?

I have been playing basketball since I was 13 years old. 

What makes you keep coming back and putting in that hard work every day?

My goal is to use basketball to create a better situation for my family. In order to do that, I have to be 100 percent in my craft. Making sure that I am in a good position to put my family in a better one. My family has been very supportive, so I just want to give back. 

Who inspires you as an athlete? Why?

Carmelo Anthony, my uncle. He played the same sport I wanted to play when I was younger. He was very good. I grew up learning from him, I loved his game. The way he carried himself as an athlete, was something I wanted to represent. I wanted to follow him because I believe that to be great, you have to watch the greats. As I studied his game, he just helped me fall more in love with the game and the art of playing. 

What’s your favorite part about playing? 

Shooting the ball, period. Yet, I really like the feeling when I shoot 3’s. 

What is your least favorite sport?

I don’t really have a least favorite sport because as an athlete I respect everyone’s game. 

If you weren’t playing a sport what do you think you would be doing?

If I wasn’t playing basketball, I would be a computer engineer, or a zoologist/antimoligist. Even find a way into streetwear fashion, really diving into that specific fashion culture. 

How do you think being an athlete has made you a better person? 

Its taught me about how important self-confidence is and showed me the benefits you gain when you stay humble as you progress and grow in your game. Honing that patience while being hungry at the same time. I’ve also learned the aspect of hard work can lead to greatness. 

If you could play another sport what would it be?

Boxing

Where do you See yourself in Five Years to Ten Years? 

I see myself as rich, doing what I love to do (basketball). Living my best life. 

Some quick facts about Saheem! ☺

Morals on Life (day to day ideals, concepts you live by)?

Trust Nobody, Stay Positive in any Situation, Stay Mysterious 

Favorite Movie

Coraline 

Favorite Song

Champion – Kanye West 

Go follow him ladies! @saheemanthony

Her Campus Contributor Account 
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.