A Blast To The 70s: An Evening With Silk Sonic Album Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

An Evening with Slik Sonic” might have been one of the most anticipated album drops of the year. Silk Sonic is a duo group that consists of singer-songwriters, Anderson.Paak and Bruno Mars. The genre of this album is often described as R&B, funk, soul, and a bit of pop. “An Evening with Silk Sonic” was a modern reminder of the music our parents and grandparents played on early Sunday mornings while either cooking or cleaning!

Bruno Mars, known for his chart topping singles “Grenade” and “Just The Way You Are”, teamed up with Anderson .Paak, who won a Grammy for Best R&B Album with his album Ventura, after his 24K Magic World Tour. Silk Sonic was formed in 2017 and they announced their album early in the year on February 26. This album isn’t much different from Mars’ and .Paak’s original solo sounds, but the duo does an incredible job of making it a combination of genres across the board. 

From just viewing the cover, the music videos, and the performances, it would not be improper to assume the album was created to pay homage to those who came before, like the Gap Band or Earth, Wind, and Fire. However, it is much more than that. The album was a combination album of funk and soul while keeping the modern pop vibe of the 2000s and 2010s. The lead single, “Leave The Door Open,” was a hit amongst the audience ranking Number 1 on the U.S Billboard 100 chart. “I ain’t playing no games, every word that I say is coming straight from the heart, so if you tryna lay in these arms,” are the pre-chorus lyrics that lead to the catchy chorus everyone loves! Between the lyrics and Mars’ singing, the chorus seems like it’s from a Marvin Gaye song. 

“Put On A Smile,” one of my favorites off the album, is a soulful ballad that tells the story of someone who misses their old partner but tries hard to pretend that they don’t care. This is one of the songs on the album that is truly the 70s. From the harmonizing background vocals to the composition of the song, it’s reminiscent of The Whispers. “After Last Night,” is a semi-slow sultry song featuring the legendary Bootsy Collins, about a good night! This is one of the songs on the album that showcase the brilliance of Mars and .Paak combining funk, R&B, and pop. “Smoking Out The Window,” is another audience favorite about a cheating girlfriend, with the lyrics, “Oh, I thought that girl belonged to only me, but I was wrong, ‘cause she belongs to everybody, everybody, ooh.” Songs like “Fly As Me” and “777” are the funkiest on the album,  with the highest energy. “Skate” and “Blast Off” are also good songs but fall short and sound repetitive in my opinion. 

Overall, I believe this album was definitely something the industry needed. An Evening with Slik Sonic, is a 10/10 album, including the composition, production, and promotion. It is a reminder of the music we love and pays homage to the musical greats before us. Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak, artists who already encapsulate the energy of Michael Jackson and The Beatles, created an album that will transcend decades while keeping the modern sounds of the 2020s.

Aliyah McClammy

Hampton U '24

Hey everyone! My name is Aliyah McClammy. I am a junior attending Hampton University majoring in strategic communications with a minor in film studies. I am from Brooklyn, New York and my favorite things to do are reading, writing, watching movies, and shopping!