8 Ways to Start Your School Year Off Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Coming back to school or first time going off to school is bittersweet. We are all excited about being back with our friends and being away from our parents. Then on the bitter side we miss home, and are not ready to start school. Not being ready tends to set us back and has us picking up the pieces in December that we should have put together in September or early October. So here are a few tips that can help you kick off this school year the right.

Organize

Organizing is key to having a successful school year. Most likely you are taking at least 5 classes, which can be a lot trying to remember what each professor told you to do before the next class. Getting a planner can help you manage this better. In your planner, you can block off a section for each, write down homework assignments, keep up with due dates and test dates. Also, in the beginning, make a to-do list in order of priority of things that need to get done by the end of the week. Do not try to fit all your notes into one small notebook, or just throw notes into a messy binder. If you are going to use a notebook for all your classes have each section for a different class or if you are going to use a binder for all your classes get dividers and label them for each class. You could even separate your classes by the days that they may be on.  

Set a Routine

Having a weekly or even daily routine goes hand and hand with being organized. Split up your time evenly! For instance, if you have breaks in between your classes and you know you are usually tired when you are all done, do not go to the stu every day in between classes to socialize and be mixy; go home, study, do work, or prepare for next your class. That way once you are done with classes you can either nap or relax for a little bit. Set aside time for schoolwork, free time, and socializing. Do not overbook your day, sleep is very important for college students. Spend time in the day handling your business so at night you can catch some Z’s and be fully prepared for the next day.  

Be a Goal Setter

Set goals both short term and long-term goals. Having goals gives you purpose, having purpose makes you more successful in everything you do in life. Set weekly goals like what homework needs to be done, or what chapters need to be read by the end of the week. Set semesters goals know what grades you want to make in your classes, what you want your GPA to be, or if you want to make Dean’s list or not. Yearly goals are super important! You want to go into the summer knowing you accomplished big things and had a successful school year. So set that goal to have a high overall GPA, or to get that internship opportunity, or to even have a position in that club you love. All of your idols made it to where they are now by setting goals, so do not just be a goal setter be a goal accomplished.

Join Clubs

Clubs are a great way to network with different students at school. You never know the doors that can open for you just because you joined that one club. Build your résumé from now. It is not always about the grades you make, but more what do you do outside of school and what extracurricular activities you are involved in.  A lot of times clubs can inform you about different opportunities you probably would have never known about. Make time for clubs in your busy college schedule because at the end of the day they will more than likely benefit you rather than hurt you.

Make Friends

There different types of friends in college, class friends, club friends, everyday friend(s), and your going out friends. Make friends in your classes you never know when you may need them for notes, study together or to remind you about due dates. These friends in your classes could also be people in your major; it is always great to know other people in your major. Once you join clubs start mixing and mingling with those people you never know what can kind of insight they can poor in your life or you guys may hit it off and end up being the best of friends. Have at least one friend you can trust and lean on; because college is already hard being away from home it is even worse when you feel like nobody is “team you.”

Get to know your professors

Do not wait until the last minute to go to your professors’ offices, make sure they know your name from the beginning. Professors are more willing to help you when they know you are about your schoolwork. Your professor can also open many doors for you like scholarships, intern opportunities, recommendation letter, and job offers.

Start studying early

Read the chapters before the week of the test. If you start studying from the beginning you will not be as stressed the week when all your tests end up being on the same day or back-to-back days. If you know that you are probably going to struggle in a class do not wait until the end to take the class seriously. Make study groups, read, go to your professor, or even get a tutor. The sooner you can get on top of your school work and concepts in classes the better off you will be at the end of the semester.

GO OUT AND PARTY

College is hard and super stressful and involves a lot of motivation and persistence. But college is also about having fun and living your best life while you do not have as many responsibilities as “real” adults. You do not need to go to every party but definitely go out every once in awhile to enjoy yourself.  As long as your work is done you are going to leave that saying, “I am so happy I got out I had so much fun.” The best students are the ones that can party and get that work done.

College will be some of the best years of your life and also some of the hardest. Do not spend all this money on school and lack off constantly. Be motivated from the beginning of the year so you can be successful and stress-free at the end. Organize, set a routine, set goals, join clubs, make friends, speak with professors, study early and do not forget to go out and have a great time.

Mia is funny, creative, and caring. She is a Junior Marketing Major at Hampton University from Charlotte, North Carolina. One of her favorite things to do is eat, eat, eat. Little girl big girl appetite. She also enjoys watching all the ratchet and drama filled "reality" shows. Mia enjoys being surrounded by friends and family. She is a great listener and advice giver. She lives by the motto what is for you will be for you, and that God always has a plan for you no matter how down and out you may be, so trust in him and the purpose he has laid out for you. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.