8 Tips On Having A Stress-Free Start To Your Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As the temperature comes to a slow decline and we reminisce on those summer days when we were living our best lives, it becomes increasingly evident that another school year is underway. Whether you are a freshman or an upperclassman, a new school year means new experiences, new friends, and new opportunities. Many of us spent the summer away from our friends and significant others, so the excitement and eagerness to get the year started is undeniable; however; for many, a new start brings new problems. Maybe you decided to take some extra credits this semester and are unsure of how to balance your workload with other aspects of your life. Or maybe you are stressing over how you are going to afford your books for the semester. If so, fear not because I have 8 tips on how to ensure that the start of your semester has something positive to say about how it will end.

Tip #1: Write it down!

The rest of these tips may not be in any particular order, but believe me this is number one for a reason. When our plates are piled so high with countless to-dos and unforeseeable solutions to pressing problems that are heavy on our minds, it becomes easy to miss something.  Perhaps in the summertime you had more free time or just fewer responsibilities making it easier for you to manage your time. The start of a new school year adds many new to-dos to our already hectic lives, so constructing a list to keep you on track may prove to be beneficial. Not to mention that it helps with planning.

Lists can also be therapeutic. Writing everything down allows you to transfer the rampant thoughts running through your head to paper, freeing them from your mind. “writing it down” also refers to journaling. Some of us find venting to others difficult, but an act as simple as journaling your thoughts and stresses really eases the tension in your mind.  

Tip #2: Don’t check out!

“It’s just syllabus week!” “It’s not due until next week!” “I think I’ll take some extra time off for Florence.” Wrong! These are all things we may be thinking, but they are also things we should not be thinking or doing. When the tides get high it’s easy to want to bail, and we may used to taking the easy way out as an excuse. Sure, taking those extra days off from class would give you a break, but how are you using that break? We all get deterred at times, but at the end of the day there is work to be done. It won’t get done unless you start it.

Tip #3: Treat yo-self (right)! 

We all know the negative effects stress has on our bodies. Some of us suffer from     frequent headaches and migraines, we may even lose our appetite or find it hard to sleep at night. With that being said, the way you treat your body is a direct reflection of how you feel. When constructing your list of things to do, make sure you schedule in time to eat and rejuvenate. I am definitely someone who forgets to eat when faced with a busy day. At times it can seem as though there aren’t enough hours in the day, but scheduling 15-30 minutes of quiet time in between tasks is essential.

Also, water is truly a life saver. Staying properly hydrated can diminish the tolls that stress takes on your body such as breakouts and headaches. So, while Thirsty Thursdays help to release tension, remember to follow up with some healthy alternatives as well.

Tip #4: Find a release!

Whether you are a religious or spiritual being, or neither, finding a release for yourself could be the best thing for you. Seeking solace in religious realms may involve finding a church home to get involved in, studying scriptures, or praying more frequently. Spiritual alternatives may consist of meditating, studying chakras, or trying out different cleanses. Other constructive and fun hobbies include working out, taking yoga classes, or even art classes. I personally have taken an interest in cooking and even started trying out new recipes!

Tip #5: Try to get ahead!

Life has taught me that the hardest disappointments or failures to accept are the ones where we have no one to blame but ourselves. Maybe your procrastination is the reason you missed out on that scholarship or the chance to get housing in the dorm you really wanted. Maybe if you had followed up with that job sooner, you wouldn’t still be looking for one. Although we are entering the fourth week of the semester, it is not too late to make up for missed time and get a head start. You missed the deadline then, but you can make up for it now.

Tip #6: Rid yourself of negativity!

Stress is bad enough, but once combined with stagnant relationships (platonic or not), toxic habits, and poor judgement things reach a new level of chaos. If you are anything like me when I’m stressed, turning inward and isolating yourself may be one of the first things you do. Which is not necessarily a bad thing at all. Some people are most productive when they have time to be by themselves, and if the people in your life can’t understand that’s the way you operate then a break from them will not hurt. Like flowers, we all grow and thrive in different climates. What works for some may not work for you.

In the same breath, I also suggest you take a look at your own behaviors and not just the ones of those around you. While all stresses and problems crowd the same space in our minds, perhaps you are prioritizing the wrong ones. Or maybe you are still partaking in old behaviors. Think back to this time last year, six months ago, even one month ago. How have you grown? Are your current actions conducive to your growth?

Tip #7: Don’t worry!

Yes, this is very much easier said than done, but nothing lasts forever — especially our troubles. I am pretty sure that the leading cause of stress is stress. Specifically, hypothetical stress. You cannot worry yourself about something that has not happened yet. Instead, try to have faith that things will work out.

I know that with financial problems this is a harder concept to implement. For example, there is very little you can do when the bills need to be paid and the money is just not there. Even still, a little faith goes a long way. We all need time to process and cope with our worries, but one should never wallow. Instead, try giving yourself a timeframe of how long you get to deal before moving forward. Maybe 24 hours is enough, or maybe you need three days. Regardless, establishing that timeframe will definitely help you put things into perspective.

Tip #8: Ask for help!

Pride is really something, isn’t it? You don’t have to answer that because I already know. This is something I definitely have experience with and, for those of you who may have the same views on asking for help, you would be surprised by the response you get from those who are truly in your corner. You’d also be surprised by how willing people are to work with you once you’ve explained your situation to them.

Please remember that your mental health is valued and extremely important. If you are feeling overwhelmed, ask for help. Talk to the people you trust or talk to a professional, but do not continue to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders because you feel that’s what you have to do.

Until next time!

If you’ve made it to this part, I salute you — LOL. I hope that these few tips helped to shed some light on whatever problems you are facing so that you too may have an amazing start to your semester.

Jasmine Baity

Hampton U '19

Hello Lovlies! My name is Jasmine Baity and I am a graduating senior marketing major from Raleigh, NC. This is my first time being part of HerCampus and I am so excited to be part of this team. I am also President of the National Marketing Honor Society, co-editor of The Hamptonian Yearbook, and involved with a few other things. I am funny and approachable, so if you see me around, feel free to say hello!
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.