7 Songs by Black Artists You Probably Were Obsessed with from the 2010s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Can you believe 2010 was almost 15 years ago? This era proved a time of innovation; a resurgence of boy bands like One Direction, 5 Seconds of Summer, or collective groups like The Internet and BROCKHAMPTON. It seems so long ago but the music stays right here. I know you remember singing Twenty-One Pilots, “Ride” with the windows down, as your mom drove you and your friends to the mall on a Saturday afternoon.

But do you remember the black women and men, who also made their mark this decade? From Rihanna to Beyonce, to the iconic Lizzo, we’ll look at all their songs and hopefully remind you why you were obsessed with them. Because just like Bruno Mars said, “All American music is Black music.”

1. Cardi B- “Bodak Yellow”

Over 1 billion views on YouTube, this song brought rapper Cardi B on the map. Released in 2017, it received a diamond certification. You’re definitely going to hear this song played at least once in the club too; women all over the country know the lyrics to this song, and I can proudly say that thanks to Cardi, I now know what bloody shoes are.

2. Lizzo- “Truth Hurts”

Over 280 million views on YouTube, Lizzo has brought nothing but body positivity and pure talent in the late 2010s. Rapper, singer, writer, and flutist; her song truth hurts became her no.1 song in 2019 and in our hearts.  

3. Pharrell Williams- “Happy”

Another popular song in this decade; this song must have been the most overplayed song besides Lil Nas X’s “Old Town Road.” But hey! I’m not complaining; this song took charts and made Billboard’s No. 1 after pushing Katy Perry’s “Dark Horse,” out and sitting at second for weeks. With over 900 million views on YouTube, it still stands for the ‘happiest’ song of this decade.

4. H.E.R- “Best Part” (Feat. Daniel Ceaser)

This song brings me back all the way to the memories of the relationship I never had! Released in 2017; Best part has accumulated over 110 million views on YouTube and is one of the artist H.E.R’s best singles. The single also went on to win Best Collaboration at the 2018 Soul Train Music Award and a Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance.

5. Lil Nas X- “Old Town Road” (FEAT. Billy ray cyrus)

I just know y’all remember this one! The debut single of American rapper Lil Nas X, he first released this single independently in December 2018. The song took video-making platform TikTok by storm, and soon he was known by everyone everywhere. To make things even better he released a remix featuring Billy Ray Cyrus in 2019; which accumulated over 900 million views on YouTube.

6. SZA-“Love Galore” (FEAT. Travis Scott)

With 3.4 million views on YouTube; this song deserves so much more attention. In her Genius interview, SZA explains that the song is about being played by a dude, and in the middle of all the mayhem, you get over him and you flipped the script. “Love Galore,” debuted at #70 on the Billboard Hot 100 in July of 2017 and peaked #32 later on in October.

7. Meek Mill- “Dreams and Nightmares”

This has got to be the most crowd-pumping single of the century. The Black National Anthem, if I must say. Meek Mill came out with this hit in 2012 as a part of his debut studio album and it has accumulated a total of 77 million views on YouTube.

Hi everyone my name is Oluwatomilayo Akintunde, but I go by (Tomi), I'm a first year kinesiology major, minoring in Spanish; and I'm from North Jersey.