The Notebook
The Notebook
New Line Cinema
Wellness

7 Romance Movies That Will Get You Through Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Who would have thought we would have to spend Valentine’s Day 2021 in a pandemic. Since we have to quarantine anyway, snuggle up with a romantic movie. Whether you are single, taken, or in a situationship there is a romantic movie for you.

Coming to America, 1988 (Amazon Prime)

If you want to find a queen go to Queens, NY. Prince Akeem (Eddie Murphy) is set to be the next ruler of Zamunda. But before he takes the throne, Akeem must be married. Refusing his father’s wishes for an arranged marriage, he travels to America in search of true love. There Akeem and his friend Semmi(Arsenio Hall) must blend in as regular Americans to find Akeem’s bride-to-be. With “Coming America 2” set to release on March 5 on Amazon Prime, Valentine’s Day weekend is the perfect time to revisit the kingdom of Zamunda. 

Think Like a Man, 2012 (Hulu)

The movie follows a group of women that uses Steve Harvey’s book, “Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man” for dating advice. When the men in their lives discover that they are plotting against them, the men use the book to their advantage. This battle of the sexes rom-com gives decent dating advice on how to find the love of your life. “Think Like A Man” has the ultimate cast lineup with Kevin Hart, Michael Ealy, Regina Hall, Taraji P. Henson, Meagan Good, Gabrielle Union, Terrence J., Romany Malco, Lala Anthony, Gary Owen. Need I say more?

Just Wright, 2010 (Amazon Prime)

Imagine getting swept off your feet by a professional basketball player. *sigh* The movie revolves around Leslie Wright (Queen Latifah), a physical therapist who has always struggled to find love. Her strong passion for basketball lands her the opportunity of a lifetime to work with NBA player, Scott McKnight (Common). Leslie’s gold-digging sister, Morgan (Paula Patton) forces a wedge between the two that creates a love triangle between the young adults. “Just Wright” follows the classic romantic comedy formula and is a must-see in Black romance movies.

The Photograph, 2020 (HBO Max)

After the recent death of her mother a young woman, Mae (Issa Rae), searches for answers when she discovers a photo of her mother with another man. With the help of a journalist (Lakeith Stanfield), Mae uncovers the love story between her mother and her hometown love. The movie connects the past and present as the investigation leads to a newfound romance between the journalist and Mae. Movies like “The Photograph” remind us that love still exists in the modern age.

Queen & Slim, 2019 (HBO Max)

Boy meets girl. Boy commits murder in self-defense. Boy and girl go on a cross country road trip to freedom. The unlikely pair (Daniel Kaluuya, Jodie Turner-Smith) have to trust each other to flee the United States. The movie tackles racism and the growing mistrust between law enforcement and the Black community. “Queen & Slim” is sure to leave you on the edge of your seat until the last minute. 

The Lovebirds, 2020 (Netflix)

“The Lovebirds” expertly combine humor, romance, and mystery to tell the epic quest of a couple to clear their name. Issa Rae and Kumail Nanijani play Leilani and Jibran, a couple on the verge of breaking up. After witnessing an unusual murder they must follow clues around the city to find the killer. Between car chases, passionate kisses, and secret societies, what’s not to love about “The Lovebirds.”

Hitch, 2005 (Hulu)

This is one of my absolute favorite romantic comedies! Alex ‘Hitch’ Hitchens (Will Smith) is an anonymous dating guru that helps his male clients win the hearts of their women. Hitch is in for his biggest challenge yet when a dorky financial advisor(Kevin James) wants to fall in love with celebrity Allegra Cole (Amber Valletta). Stories intertwine as Hitch unknowingly starts dating Sara Melas (Eva Mendes), a gossip journalist working to find out who is behind New York’s infamous dating advisor. The movie is full of laughs and romance!

Happy Valentine’s Day! <3

Ryanne Howard

Hampton U '23

Ryanne Howard is a junior at Hampton University. She is a Strategic Communications major with a minor in Leadership Studies from Raleigh, North Carolina. At Hampton University she is a member of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute as well as the Student Recruitment Team. Ryanne aspires to be a Public Relations Manager for a major company in the golfing industry.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.