This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Just finished that assignment that was due at 11:59pm? Are you now doing some soul searching to find something to do that will give your brain a break? No worries! You’ve come to the right place! If you’re anything like me, when I need to take a break, nine times out of 10, I’m binge watching a Netflix TV show or movie. Now that colder weather is upon us, what’s a better time to cozy up to your laptop or TV and click through a new selection of Netflix shows and movies? To help a fellow student out, I have put together a short list of newly released and upcoming TV shows and movies that will surely help you put your mind at ease.

1. House of Cards – Netflix Original (November 2, 2018)

The sixth and final season of House of Cards will debut on November 2, 2018. For many that are unaware and may be intrigued, House of Cards is an American political thriller television series that is set in Washington D.C. The story is based off a Congressman named Frank Underwood who initiates an elaborate plan to attain power, aided by his wife Claire Underwood. The series deals with themes of ruthless pragmatism, manipulation, betrayal, and power.

2. Red Riding Hood – (November 15, 2018)

The Warner Brothers Film is based on a young woman named Valerie (Amanda Seyfried) who is madly in love with one man but is being forced to marry another. Unwilling to lose each other, Valerie and Peter (Shiloh Fernandez) are planning to run away together when they learn that Valerie’s older sister has been killed by the werewolf that prowls the dark forest surrounding their village. She then discovers that the wolf that has been hunting the village takes on human form by day and transforms into a werewolf to kill at night. The werewolf may be someone whom she loves.

3. Baby – (November 30, 2018)

Netflix’s newest series, Baby, is inspired by the Bay Squillo teen prostitution scandal that came about in 2013. The scandal involved 14 and 15-year-olds who were said to have been sold into sex in order to buy designer clothes. The series will tell the story of a group of Roman teenagers who juggle forbidden love, family pressures and shared secrets.

4. Plan Couer (The Hook Up Plan), Season 1 – December 7, 2018

The Netflix Original series, “Plan Coeur (The Hookup Plan)” will make its debut on December 7, 2018. The French based series involves a single young woman who gets help from her friends to boost her confidence by hiring a male escort.

5. Lovesick, Season 3 – (January 1, 2018)

(https://www.netflix.com/title/80041601)

The third season of Lovesick will makes its debut on January 1, 2018 and it shows that Dylan (Johnny Flynn) is diagnosed with chlamydia and has to call the women he’s been intimate with to inform them of his recent diagnosis. In each episode, there are flashbacks of Dylan’s romances with those women and why the romances didn’t work out.  

6. Disjointed, Season 1-Part 2 – (January 12, 2018)

(https://medium.com/@nilegirl/why-netflixs-disjointed-is-the-absolute-wor…)

After part 1 of the Netflix series was originally canceled after one season, Disjointed  is coming back and is determined to stay for the long run. The stoner comedy sitcom will feature more than 10 episodes.

7. Madam C.J. Walker, Season 1 – (Unknown Release)

(https://www.formulatv.com/noticias/82407/octavia-spencer-protagonizara-m…)

Be sure to keep an eye out for this upcoming Netflix series that stars Octavia Spencer who portrays black hair care pioneer and mogul, Madam C.J. Walker,” (born Sarah Breedlove).  Based on the book by A’Lelia Bundles, On Her Own Ground, this new limited series promises the untold and highly irreverent story of the first black female and self-made millionaire in America with her beauty product line.

Jaelan Leonard

Hampton U '20

Jaelan Leonard is a junior journalism communications major, marketing minor at Hampton University (Hampton U' 20) . Jaelan is from Virginia Beach, Virginia and attends Hampton on an a full athletic track scholarship.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com