This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Congratulations! Your stimmy just hit your bank account this week, now you may be wondering what is the best way to use your stimulus? Here I am to give you some suggestions on the best way to stretch your dollars that is not from a financial expert’s perspective, but from a student who knows that every dollar counts.

1. Start putting money in a Roth IRA  which is a tax free way to grow your money for your future, and the best part is you can continue to add money in the future once you have incoming income. The only part is that you can not receive your money till you hit retirement age around 65. 

2. Invest your money into cash app stock which is a recently added feature to the cash app platform. The platform has no initial commission fees for using the platform however there is a small fee when selling your stock. Overall the platform is an easy way to start learning about trading stocks. Also, with the app having fractional shares you can easily invest in the company of your choice without breaking the bank. 

3. Adding to your savings account is an additional way to easily set up for your future especially if you already have a checking account right now. Adding to your saving is not only good for a rainy day but to also have money to use later on for investments. 

4. Living Expenses is a great way to use that check from food to gas in the car (especially with most states hitting $3 a gallon for the first time in a year). This most certainly will help out with the bills that you have upcoming and maybe if you have a credit card to make an earlier payment to raise your credit score. 

5. On yourself! Let’s be realistic in the famous words of Donna and Tom from Parks and Recreation ‘Treat yo’self”. Definitely don’t blow your budget, but spending a little bit like $100 is a nice way to get something you want or a way to spend on an activity. 

Christina Buie

Hampton U '22

Hello Beautiful People! My name is Christina Buie I am a graduating Senior Sociology major on the Pre-law track at Hampton University. I absolutely LOVE photography, especially nature pictures and candid polaroids.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.