Queen Latifah and Common Just Wright
Queen Latifah and Common Just Wright
Flavor Unit Entertainment
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Tips for Better Communication in Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s cuffing season! Now, we all want our partner to know how much they mean to us. From dates, to gifts, to small acts of romance, it’s important to make sure your relationship is alive and well. One thing you want to make sure your relationship has is communication! Communication is the fuel to a lively relationship and communicating with your s/o allows you to explain your needs and emotions. While many of us may not see communication as essential, it’s helpful to have insight on good communication. So, here are 5 tips on improving communication with your significant other!

1. Listen!

Listening is so important! You might think you’re listening, but are you engaged and actively listening? When engaged in active listening, you’re focused and responding to the speaker. However, try not to interrupt unless it’s necessary. Make sure your s/o knows that you’re listening to them by paying attention to what they have to say. Try to see their point of view on the subject in order to understand what’s happening. We all want to be heard so it’s important to listen.

2. Make time to talk

Try to set aside time to talk. Set aside some time during your day or week to engage in conversation. Try to avoid small talk as it usually results in the same answers and won’t lead to an in depth conversation. Make sure to ask open-ended questions to open more deep conversations.This is a great way to know more about your s/o if you’ve just started dating. If your s/o is happy about something, match their mood! Let them know that they are appreciated and you’re happy to spend time with them! Also, remember to be patient if your s/o isn’t in the mood to chat. Again, make sure to listen! 

3. Be open and honest

I know many of us are often afraid of telling the truth, but you should in a relationship. Tell your s/o what you like or what you don’t like. Tell them what you want and what you don’t want. By being open and honest you can avoid possible miscommunication and conflicts. Let them know when something that you did in the past no longer works or if you want to make adjustments. It’s okay to ask for help when something is wrong! It’s okay for you and your s/o to show your feelings – it’s human! By being open you’re strengthening your relationship.

4. Watch nonverbal cues

Nonverbal cues may not seem important, but they show a lot about your attitude. Nonverbal cues are your body language, tone of voice, and your facial expressions. Your nonverbal cues are important in communication as they can give away how you truly feel in a conversation. Pay attention to your s/o’s nonverbal cues. Nonverbal cues can also be a sign that your s/o isn’t open to communication and may want to wait. It may take time to adjust, but watching your nonverbal cues can prevent potential conflicts. 

5. Focus 

While you might have a lot of ideas on your mind, it’s important to focus on the topic at hand. This is necessary in order to be respectful of one another. Not focusing on the topic can potentially upset your s/o and can lead to poor communication. Unless necessary, avoid bringing up old topics or conflicts. Try and eliminate distractions in order to not seem like you’re ignoring your s/o. Make sure you are aware of what’s happening in that moment. If you don’t think you can fully engage in a topic, it’s okay to let them know (nicely) that you can’t talk. Remember communication may take time, but it’s important to let your relationship grow and remain happy!

Madison Davis is a senior, Psychology major, Communications minor from Memphis, TN. She enjoys traveling, cooking, and playing with her dogs, Pyper and Jamocha! She's honored to share her experiences through her writing with the HerCampus community. Feel free to visit her Instagram page @maddyecamille!