5 things you need to know to Successfully survive Homecoming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The fall welcomes seasons changing, sweater weather and most importantly homecoming! Across the United States, homecoming is seen as a time to have school pride and celebrate with alumni. While other colleges do have cool themes or concepts, it simply cannot compare to homecoming on an HBCU campus. Schools such as NCAT, Howard University, Morehouse, Spelman College and of course Hampton University are known for having legendary homecoming events. While most schools celebrate homecoming from Thursday to Sunday, Hampton University has the theme of 168 hours or one full week. While one can easily get caught up in the energy of celebrating here are five things that are necessary for you to successfully survive homecoming. 

1. It might be tempting, but do not skip class! Many professors know that it is homecoming and many will simply have you sign in and let you leave. You do not want to lose attendance points because you wanted to hang out on the yard or student center. Certain professors in my experience have given extra credit to those who went to their class during homecoming. While college events are extremely fun, do not forget that you are there to learn. 

2. Absolutely do not do anything to jeopardize your position as a student. I completely understand you want to have fun, but this is not the time for you to be a follower. Do not go to places you’re not supposed to. If you’re under 21 do not attempt to buy alcohol or drink alcohol. Do not let your homecoming be your home going. 

3. Hydrate and eat! Many times you’re party-hopping or having a blast at the tailgate and you start to feel faint. Make sure you’re eating regularly and bring a water bottle with you. You might not feel hungry or thirsty because you’re so caught up in the contagious energy, but you don’t want to be that person to pass out at the football game. 

4. Make a plan! Of course you want to go to everything and see everybody, but a plan will help you to actually do so. Make a plan the day or even week before of what events or parties you’re going to and who you’re going with. Make sure to also share your location with your close friends. 

5. Last and most important, have fun! Homecoming season only comes once a year so make it special! Take pictures and videos to capture the essence of what it truly means to be an HBCU student. Whether you’re meeting with your classmates or old friends enjoy the moment.

Gabrielle Chenault is a senior journalism major with a concentration in political science from Queens, New York. She is a member of the cross country and track team. She also is the Lifestyle section editor of The Hampton Script, the parliamentarian of North P.A.C and a resident assistant. In her free time, Gabrielle loves to listen to music, travel and try new food from around the world.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!