5 Things To Do Over Spring Break to Guarantee A Strong End to the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Spring break is the special time we all use to recuperate and relax. Whether you’re spending your break at the beach or in your bed, it’s essential to hit the mental reset button. But if the only thing we do during spring break is relax, it might catch up to us when we return to campus. Nobody wants that. So here are five simple things you can do to guarantee that you’re on top of things and ready to finish the semester strong after break.

Reevaluate your goals 

Maybe you set New Year’s resolutions or goals for Junior year. As the semester comes to a close, now is a great time to review them. See if you’re making any progress. If you have, kudos to you! Congratulate yourself! If not, see what can be adjusted. It’s also an opportune time to set some academic and social (clubs, etc.) goals for the fall semester before summer fun takes over your brain in a few months.

Reevaluate your grades

Midterms – the most terrible time of the year (second only to finals). With midterm grades coming in, it’s in your best interest to look at them. However, don’t just glance them over, cheer for the A’s, and wince at the D’s. Find out why you got those scores and how you can do better. Could your note taking use some improvement? Do you need to participate more in class? List out your strengths and weaknesses for each course and when you get back, make those changes. You’re guaranteed to boost your grade by finals.

Get some work done

Once the last midterm is completed, your backpack is thrown in a corner and your textbooks are thrown on the desk not to be touched until after break. However, it will save you a lot of stress if you pack some of your work. I’m not saying to bring your Calculus textbook to the beach and study while everyone else is having fun. But keeping it in your suitcase for quick reviews is beneficial. Time moves fast after break so get a handle on old information before you’re scrambling to grasp new concepts. Spring break is also the best time to work on end of the semester projects and papers. Do a little bit at a time. Your future self will thank you.

Start changing your wardrobe 

The groundhog didn’t see his shadow this year so spring is just around the corner. That being said, spring break is a great time to start switching out your winter coats for spring attire. It might not help with your grades, but it will make the transition from snowy weather to sunshine much easier. Just start by bringing the furs, huge knit sweaters, and heavy coats back home. Then grab some jean jackets for campus. Or if you’re not going home, buy a couple spring pieces! Whatever your spring break plans are, it’s time to welcome the warm weather by changing up the fits.

Blow off some steam 

Make sure to maximize your self care during spring break by journaling, painting, working out, etc. Burn off the stress of the semester by doing what makes you happy. Also ensure that your plans make you feel more relaxed and not more stressed. Don’t feel pressured to travel if you’d actually prefer staying in bed. It would be better to feel rejuvenated and energized coming back to school than to have some cute flicks for instagram but feel totally drained and unprepared to work. Plus, having continually high stress levels guarantees a burn out when you get back to campus!

Finishing the semester strong is always a great feeling. So have fun during spring break but make sure to prepare yourself for the upcoming months. Then, you can begin your summer shenanigans with a 4.0 in your backpocket. Good luck and have a wonderful break, ladies!

Cassie Herring

Hampton U '21

Cassie Herring is a graduating Senior English major from Woodbridge, Virginia. She is the current Senior Editor of Hampton University's HC Chapter. She is also a Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellow and Co-President of Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society. In her free time, she can be found writing poetry or listening to R&B. In the future, Cassie plans to earn her PhD and teach the collegiate level to empower the next generation of leaders.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com