5 Songs to Cure Heart Breaks 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s about that time again; whether you want to see it or not, it is here. All the heart-shaped candies, flowers, and everything related to love are right in front of you. This is not your typical article where I am writing all about love. It’s the opposite; this is for those feeling down this holiday or going through heartbreaks. If this is you, please keep reading!

Not Gon’ Cry by Mary J. Blige 

We can all agree that Mary J. Blige sings her heart out, telling her man that she will not cry about him. She finally noticed her self-worth and decided that her man wasn’t her whole world anymore. What I love about this song is in the first verse, she said that “While all the times that I was loving you, You were busy loving yourself. I would stop breathing if you told me to.” Being in a relationship is all about giving and taking, a type of commitment. In this case, her relationship was just a one-way street until she realized, “what am I gaining from this relationship”? The lyrics indicate that he had a hold on her; he didn’t respect her enough. While she was faithful, he was out in the world doing whatever he was doing. She was willing to give up everything until she realized that she was more than her relationship. It was her woken moment, and I am here for it.

Sorry by Beyonce 

“Sorry, I ain’t sorry. Sorry, I ain’t sorry.” Yes, you read that right; the song Sorry, by the one and only, Beyonce has to be on the list. Like Mary J. Blige, Beyonce realizes her worth. The whole Lemonade is a great album to listen to if you are going through a breakup. However, if I have to pick just one song, it has to be Sorry. I don’t know if you have seen the music video, but if you have seen it, there are a lot of powerful women in that video. You can see Beyonce singing with no care and with a lot of attitude on her face and body language. I think this song is saying that she is not sorry that this relationship is over. Plus, it is just a boss song like it motivates you to be like, okay, you brought this on yourself. You had me, but you messed up, so you lost me, is the type of energy I am getting from this song.

Ex for a reason By Summer Walker 

I believe that things happen for a reason, so when Summer Walker said those lyrics, I felt it in my soul. We all know who she was talking about, and we can all agree that we know people who are our Ex for a reason. So, when you are listening to the album Still Over It, make sure you are screaming at the top of your lungs when she said, “That B* your ex (your ex), for a reason though (reason though).”

Irreplaceable by Beyonce

Everyone and everything is replaceable. I hope you know and understand that. If someone did you wrong, you have to tell them “to the left, to the left.” You don’t need anyone who will disrespect you or make you feel small. This is just a great song for anyone to listen to when you are down. Beyonce tells him that another guy will replace him at any moment. 

Needed Me by Rihanna

I haven’t forgotten about Rihanna! Rihanna’s last album is a masterpiece, hints why we keep wishing her to make more music, but we have to keep replaying the album until then. I like this song because it empowers women that you are the prize “you need me I don’t need you” type of energy in this relationship. She starts off saying I was good on my own until he came along. Sometimes we are so wrapped up in the relationship we forget who we were before the relationship. If that is happening to you, make sure you step back and examine yourself; in a relationship, they shouldn’t be your everything but just an addition to you. It’s like fill in the blank; you have everything; it’s just certain areas that need to be filled in. So take Rihanna’s advice, hold yourself on a high stander, and tell them I don’t need you, but you need me.

These five songs will help you cry and help you feel like you are that girl. So when you are listening to these songs, make sure you are singing them out loud. Enjoy listening!

Tigist Ashaka

Hampton U '23

Hey everyone! My name is Tigist Ashaka. I am a junior attending Hampton University majoring in journalism. I am from Prince George's County Maryland.